Ls-1 Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ls-1 Questions

Hey guys, Well I'm that guy sticking the Ls-1 in my 67 camaro and i want 2 know a few things about the motor .... How much does a completly assembled Ls-1 weigh with longtubes on it? also how much does a T-56 weigh?, and how much HP can the tranny hold?. I appreciate any help Thanks.
    1967 Camaro "Project"
    1972 Chevelle "454"
    1979 Trans Am "Project Ls-1"

If I remember correctly, the T-56 can handle quite a bit. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was the same tranny used in the Viper.
    '99 T/A WS6 w/ Borla cat-back, K&N, SLP SFC, SLP STB, BMR boxed LCA's, BMR Adj. torque arm, BMR panhard rod, BMR springs, and Short Stick
    (a list I know, but if I don't put it here, I'll never write it down anywhere else)

Comment

I think it depends on the transmission. From what i understand, LT1's got Borg Worner T56's and LS1's got a Tremec T-56 which is the one used in the Viper. This is what i've been told anyhow.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrage
        I think it depends on the transmission. From what i understand, LT1's got Borg Worner T56's and LS1's got a Tremec T-56 which is the one used in the Viper. This is what i've been told anyhow.
        Same transmission... company merger or something like that.
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Originally posted by Tig
          If I remember correctly, the T-56 can handle quite a bit. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was the same tranny used in the Viper.

The Viper T-56 is built to different spec to be more durable and handle more HP. One of the big weaknesses in the f-body T-56 is the plastic shoft forks.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Originally posted by RocKin1967
            Hey guys, Well I'm that guy sticking the Ls-1 in my 67 camaro and i want 2 know a few things about the motor .... How much does a completly assembled Ls-1 weigh with longtubes on it? also how much does a T-56 weigh?, and how much HP can the tranny hold?. I appreciate any help Thanks.

I believe the LS1 with long tubes should be in the range of 380ish lbs... I know they list the crate motor as 380 lbs when they sell it, but I am not sure if that includes the manifolds or not. Obviously, long tube headers weigh less than the iron manifolds do.

I don't know how much the T-56 weighs though, sorry.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys . so the motor should be weighing like 390lbs with the headers, pretty kool stuff, way better than the gen 1 blocks lol, and i know the vipers have t-56's but jay ur right they are built differently than an f-body t-56, but im not sure if i heard that the f-body 6spd was rated at like 470hp or somehwere around their or maybe it was 470ft-lbs not sure, well thanks alot guys, later
              1967 Camaro "Project"
              1972 Chevelle "454"

Comment

ohhh 380lbs "with" the headers.. lol ok, thanks jay. dont mind me im a lil slow
                1967 Camaro "Project"
                1972 Chevelle "454"

Comment

Working...
                X