Having Some Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Some Problems

Well I have a 1999 V6 Firebird and it started misfiring so I took it to Auto Zone and put the tester on it and it read that it was a 3rd cyl misfire..soo i replaced all plugs and wires on it..Well it ran ok the 1st day then it started to mess up again i took it back to auto zone did the tester again it still read cyl 3 misfire and I dont think the 3rd cyl spark plug and wire i jus replaced would already have messed up my boyfriend said it could possibly be one of the fuel injectors or maybe a cool pak i started think it could be the Throttle Body because it only misfires on occasions and it seems like it depends on how and where you hit the gas pedal..if anyone could possibly give me any info on this it would be much appreciated..thanks

**Red 98 Trans Am--Flowmaster--MTI Clear Lid--Smooth Bellow--B&M Shift Kit**
    **White 98 Dodge Stratus--Daily Driver!**
    **RIP Red Firebird 170k**

How did the connector on the coil pack look compared to others when you changed that plug wire.

Reason I ask is my buddy has a 99 GTP, and he was having a random misfire. The coil pack connector was all corroded, and it was the only one like that.
    Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

The coil pack may be the culprit..... If the car had been misfiring regularly due to a bad spark plug or wire, it is common for the coil pack to fail as well. It is still based on a design that is over 15 years old.

Comment

If I remmber correctly the car has 3 coil packs. Swap them around and see if the problem changes.
        2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
        1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
        2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
        2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
        2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

yea theres 3 diff coil packs..when you swap them dont you put them on a diff cyls and see if those misfire?

Comment

You want to swap the one for cyl #3 and see if the problem follows the coil (to another cylinder). Also, as was mentioned, don't discount the connector - bad connectors and bad connections account for most of the electrical problems under a car's hood.

BTW, some guy at work just had to return a new set of wires which made his truck misfire, however, his problem wasn't cylinder specific. He put the old wires back on and the prob disappeared. So much for a tune-up. In troubleshooting, you can't necessarily discount new parts, cause every once in a while, you will get one bad out of the box, then you go off replacing everything else and end up back where you started a half a year and a thousand bucks later. Those are tough problems to figure, along with intermittents.

Comment

welp thanks for all the input on this....i am goin to check the coil packs and the connectors tomorrow and see what happens..thanks much ya'll

Comment

Hello,
                I'm having similar problems. I was driving down the road when it started to misfire and a check engine light came on. This happened to me before and it was just a spark plug wire that came loose. This time when I checked all my connections they were good though. So I went to Autozone and got a OBD II scanner. It is telling me P0300 multiple cylinder misfires, unlike your cylinder 3 misfire code. Now it can't be just one spark plug because then I wouldn't have gotten this code. It can't be a coil pack because I checked one and it was good, and even then it would have flagged just one cylinder. Now I am wondering if it is the ignition module or the camshaft or crankshaft sensors. What is more likely to go out. Should I just get the module see if that works or start with the sensors, which I can't even find but are a hell of a lot cheaper.

Comment

welp my misfire is fixed it was a that i needed a coil pack for cyl 3-6...a 5 minute $22.50 change and its running like new...not to mention its got all new plugs and wires :-D we were about to change the fuel injectors good thing we changed the coil pack first lol....i'll be changin the fuel injectors soon though just for maintence since my car has 113,000 or so miles on it and when we changed the plugs and wires on it whom ever owned it before me did NOT take care of my baby :'(...it still had 2 original plugs in it from 1999 when the car was made...grrrrr stupid ppls....why must people treat such nice cars badly..grr blah lol

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fir3bird Chick
                    welp my misfire is fixed it was a that i needed a coil pack for cyl 3-6...a 5 minute $22.50 change and its running like new...not to mention its got all new plugs and wires :-D we were about to change the fuel injectors good thing we changed the coil pack first lol....i'll be changin the fuel injectors soon though just for maintence since my car has 113,000 or so miles on it and when we changed the plugs and wires on it whom ever owned it before me did NOT take care of my baby :'(...it still had 2 original plugs in it from 1999 when the car was made...grrrrr stupid ppls....why must people treat such nice cars badly..grr blah lol
                    Thats what iam saying girl, when i got my car, I found 3030300303 problems from the old user, that just didnt take care of his car... I'am getting her back up to shape quick, so it wont be long till she is purring. I also got the v6 and I say they arent so bad, cause its suitiable for everyday things, plus I win almost every race, only lose to the powerful v8's like another firebird has beat me but i knew i wasnt gonna win, i wanted to see him punch it. Most of these people who bash the v6 verison of the firebird has never driven the v6 verison.. BTW - what part of west virginia you from, i used to live in Harpers Ferry

Comment

Originally posted by StolenBIRD
                      Thats what iam saying girl, when i got my car, I found 3030300303 problems from the old user, that just didnt take care of his car... I'am getting her back up to shape quick, so it wont be long till she is purring. I also got the v6 and I say they arent so bad, cause its suitiable for everyday things, plus I win almost every race, only lose to the powerful v8's like another firebird has beat me but i knew i wasnt gonna win, i wanted to see him punch it. Most of these people who bash the v6 verison of the firebird has never driven the v6 verison.. BTW - what part of west virginia you from, i used to live in Harpers Ferry
                      Dude, first off, her V6 is much different than yours...much faster, more efficient, etc. Second off, refresh your memory...read your thread...nobody bashed your V6. For what you want to do, the V8 is a much, much better choice. Do not put words in other people's mouths...most people get very offended.
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by StolenBIRD
                        BTW - what part of west virginia you from, i used to live in Harpers Ferry
                        Small world, my best friend moved to Harper's Ferry a few years ago. I didn't think anyone else actually lived there lol j/k Coming from a big city here, I found it surreal that HF was so pseudo remote!

~G

Best ET: 13.41 @ 103.80 MPH (@600 FT) with these Mods: SLP 2L/2R Exhaust, K&N FIPK, LT4 KM, 4.10 GM Superior gears, BMR LCAs & relocation brackets, Energy Suspension Poly Tranny Mount, 160 degree thermostat, HPP3 ( mostly for speedo & fan recalibration), MSD 6AL Ignition & MSD Blaster Coil and all the free mods.
                        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
                        Trans Am- The Muscle Car Lives

Comment

Actually Steve alot of people do bash the V6's, no one in this thread has and Stolen never said they did, not sure what you got all offended about. Most who have the 6's have them because they are cheaper from many aspects. It's not like they don't realize they are not as powerful, the six is just the choice for them at the time. I have a friend on here Todd 2000 V6 Camaro, who I met when he first got his. It was a new car instead of a used 8 that someone had beat on, and his ins was less than my '94Z I had then. Seems like everytime someone asks how to make a 6 faster all they get told is to get an 8. It's so easy for everyone to say get a V8, well some can't (at least for now)
                          NBM '02 Z, SLP Lid, Corsa Cat-Back
                          (SOLD 07/03/2004)

Comment

I understand that, but people also need to realize that the V6 was not meant for performance, thus there's very little aftermarket support (though some like RKSport do offer some parts) and thus the reason people recommend to go the V8. As for the the bashing, I misread and thought I saw something different, so I apologize. However, for the price of a newer V6 model one can easily get an LT1 V8. The LT1, and probably the LS1 as well, will take a good amount of beating and not show very many signs, if any at all, of needing anything major. There's guys who see well over 200,000 out of their V8 without a problem. I understand this may not be typical of every V8 4th Gen. out there, but mileage is not an accurate enough factor by itself to determine the life left in a vehicle. Mine came with over 100k on it and she ran like a scalded dog before I got my hands on it, with only a chip and 160 thermo. Again, I know this isn't typical of all V8s in this situation, but not all are on the opposite end of the spectrum either. More ofthen than not some minor maintenance is all that's needed simply due to age, and most is fairly inexpensive and easy (except the plugs lol).

With all that said, the V6 F-body is indeed nothing to look down on. While I'm not a fan of the 93-95 3.4, it is still better than owning a Fraud. But, as I've said before, the V6 is simply not meant to be a performer...thus tuning one will be harder due to the limited number of parts available and the lack of support from the aftermarket. While I do not discourage the V6 owners from trying, the simple fact is that there are lower limitations than with the V8, thus with the money one would spend to beef up the V6 one could put toward a V8. Just my rant for the day lol. Glad your car is running good again April. Take care everyone.
                            Steve
                            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Thanks for all the info on this and yea alot of people around here talk sh!t to me about my car "missing 2 cylidners" bka not bein an v8 which makes me mad because i dont hate on peoples cars...

watch the language please. Family forum rated G

thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X