Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Track times after the 6 speed install (sad ending)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track times after the 6 speed install (sad ending)

So we left fro the track at 5 did end up getting there til 6:45 because of misleading directions. Anyways.. I got there and there were probably about 50 cars in the american domestic street car so i knew then i wasn't going to get a lot of runs in. Well my last time i went to the track was with my auto and i launched with the auto at about 700 RPM running at a time of 13.914 so i could have done better but i was pretty stoked with the 13.9 for a time. Well I went last night, 69*F and 100% humidity and my first race was against a saturn. Being the stupid kid i am, i thought ya ill beat this guy no problem. Well The stage lights went on and i was ready to race... oh wait you don't have an auto anymore, you can't just let off the clutch and go. Well i stalled of course and had the worst 60' time in the world... 5.769s. I ran that at 17.889s with a trap of 94.7. Well i got another run and i ran a 14.5 at 98.97 which is disappointing since i was running .6 better with my auto. Well after the last run -- run number 2 -- I pushed the clutch in and heard, crack and then i couldn't shift the car in gear anymore. So im at the end of the quarter, crapping my pants.. had the push the car down the return lane and sat there for 30 minutes not knowing wha to do. It was pitch black so i couldn't do anything with it, couldn't even check the problem. I thought i bruned the clutch out but its a brand new clutch. THen i looked and noticed i was missing all the hydraulic fluid in the clutch resevoir. Ends up, i brough the slave cylinder mount some how. The plastic cracked and i think i lost the metal bracket that supports the cylinder in there. I haven't been able to check had to get a ride from the tow truck man back to college. Yea for AAA and a free 100mile tow trip.

Once i fix the tranny (friday saturday) is there anyway that i can increase my times significantly so i be back up to where my auto was? I had a .2 slower sixty than i did with the auto, my best of the night was 2.27 compared to a 2.07. I know i need new tires with better traction, anything else? Is it that i just suck at driving? What are the good shift points for the car?

The six speed requires great skill to launch well. I'm still working on it, and I've been driving them for years. Challenge yourself to do better every time you run. It is all you at this point, the car wont do it for you any more.

What RPM are you launching at? Are you dumping the clutch or feathering it?

If your goal is to go fast down the 1/4, put the auto back in. The six speed will never get you the same results as consistantly as the auto did. I assume you swapped to the manual for fun, so just enjoy the added driving experience!
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      The six speed requires great skill to launch well. I'm still working on it, and I've been driving them for years. Challenge yourself to do better every time you run. It is all you at this point, the car wont do it for you any more.

What RPM are you launching at? Are you dumping the clutch or feathering it?

If your goal is to go fast down the 1/4, put the auto back in. The six speed will never get you the same results as consistantly as the auto did. I assume you swapped to the manual for fun, so just enjoy the added driving experience!

ya it was for the pleasure of the drive since i dont take my car to the track all the time. I was feathering it out becuase dumping the clutch makes the car bog down a lot.

Comment

Sorry to hear the news Joe. THe manual is NOT the hot ticket for the drag strip! You should know after seeing me struggle for 60' times. I was running consistant 2.0 - 2.1 on the nittos. That sucks! Its hard and takes a lot of practice. Its not something you'll master in one visit. I havent even gotten good at it after many visits. Talk to Pavia.....ask him what he ran with his LS1. I'll tell you its slower than you. So dont worry, you'll get it.

What do you mean about breaking the slave cylinder mount? It mounts right on the tranny itself. Did you mean MASTER cylinder mount - on the firewall? The firewall needs to be reinforced where the master cylinder bolts through it. AN extra piece of sheetmetal should be welded (or bolted) in. Let me know if you need a hand.
        96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
        11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
          Sorry to hear the news Joe. THe manual is NOT the hot ticket for the drag strip! You should know after seeing me struggle for 60' times. I was running consistant 2.0 - 2.1 on the nittos. That sucks! Its hard and takes a lot of practice. Its not something you'll master in one visit. I havent even gotten good at it after many visits. Talk to Pavia.....ask him what he ran with his LS1. I'll tell you its slower than you. So dont worry, you'll get it.

What do you mean about breaking the slave cylinder mount? It mounts right on the tranny itself. Did you mean MASTER cylinder mount - on the firewall? The firewall needs to be reinforced where the master cylinder bolts through it. AN extra piece of sheetmetal should be welded (or bolted) in. Let me know if you need a hand.
          no there is a little plate that locks the cylinder onto the transmission which is missing. But an update to that, the fork on the tranny seems to have slipped and is jammed and it chunked out a good deal of the friction plate so ill need a new disc most likely since there are chunks of clutch disc just chilling in the bellhousing. Gotta get under there and take a better look but it wont be as easy as replacing the slave cylinder

the bracket im talking about is the clutch cylinder acuator bracket, its called that on the t56 manual. So that part is MIA and then the actually screw holes in the slave cylinder both broke too.

Comment

Originally posted by darkz711
            no there is a little plate that locks the cylinder onto the transmission which is missing. But an update to that, the fork on the tranny seems to have slipped and is jammed and it chunked out a good deal of the friction plate so ill need a new disc most likely since there are chunks of clutch disc just chilling in the bellhousing. Gotta get under there and take a better look but it wont be as easy as replacing the slave cylinder

the bracket im talking about is the clutch cylinder acuator bracket, its called that on the t56 manual. So that part is MIA and then the actually screw holes in the slave cylinder both broke too.
            Got any pics?
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle

Comment

Got any pics?
              nope at school this was the report from my dad this afternoon. This is the updated news that i got

The bracket is still there, just dangling there. The slave cylinder is busted. The fork came off the throw out bearing and hit the clutch disc. Don't know if there are problems with the pressure plate. Can't be sure until i take it apart and get a look at it. Is there a chance that one of the days when you have an open block and can come use the lift?

Comment

Yea, if you want to come by Monday or Wednesday at 1 o'clock, I can take a look with you.

Comment

Yea, if you want to come by Monday or Wednesday at 1 o'clock, I can take a look with you.
                  i would love to but have class on mondays til 6 and wednesday class starts at 1 to 1:50

Comment

Originally posted by darkz711
                    i would love to but have class on mondays til 6 and wednesday class starts at 1 to 1:50
                    PM or call me.

Comment

Oh man, i'm sorry to hear about that. Stalling out is my biggest fear. I've had nightmares about being at the track in a 98+ WS6 (my dream car....literally!) and stalling it out Good luck and enjoy the 6 speed.
                      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
                      SOLD- Kinda miss it
                      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
                      SOLD- Good riddance!
                      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I've only been behind the T-56 for over a year and, yes, it is a pain to launch properly. If you're gonna dump the clutch, you'll more than likely either start to stall the motor or light the tires. Feathering, from my experience, seems to net a better launch, but timing is everything. On the clutch for too long and you're launch will suck. Not long enough and you could get a result similer to if you dumped it. They're fun to drive, that's for sure. But, launching is a science at least, religion at best. Like everyone else is saying, just keep trying and you'll get the hang of it. Next is quick shifting and learning just how much clutch nets you a full release. Don't feel bad about grinding gears as you do this, just don't do it too much . Good luck man and keep us posted.
                        Steve
                        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
                        X