Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sorta NFB: what do you guys think of my LT-1/4 setup in this vette?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azkkn
    yeah what he said, and i cant gap a gapless ring, so i hope you were talking about the ring gap on different rings than what i have.
    Even with the so called "gapless" second ring there is still a gap on the 2 piece Total Seal interlocking ring that should be gapped properly. I guess you haven't had the rings out of the box yet.

Even when using the Total Seal rings it is only the second ring that is different from a standard setup. The compression ring (top) ring and oil control ring sets are the same. Well kinda.

The issue with total seals is that they attempt to use the second ring as the compression ring when it is normally desgined to function as basically an oil scraper. When you use the second ring as a compression ring it creates a high pressure area during the compression stroke between the first and second ring. That pressure unloads the top ring and as a result high rpm flutter will occur and significant power loss can be a result as well... Not to mention cylinder wall scarring.

Then you must use a high tension oil control ring set because of the lack of the second ring doing it's intended job as an oil scraper. That also will cause power loss.

Additionally Total Seal claims to reduce blowby. Unfortunately they only performed their leakdown tests without the motor running. How convenient. We all know that blowby occurs while the motor is running. With the use of Total Seal second rings, crankcase pressure goes up, oil consumption goes up, and again power loss goes up with it.

Lots of f-body speed shops tried the Total Seals when they first got popular and found out that they were basically crap.

Comment

Working...
    X