Solid vs Hyd. roller Lifters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid vs Hyd. roller Lifters

I was wondering how they differ and what is a better way to go and do I have to change much on the block to go to solid rollers. Do they oil the same? are solid lifter more maintinence? I have always used hyd. rollers but I see that I can make more HP and TQ with the solid rollers. Any help would be awsome.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Originally posted by DeWynter
    I was wondering how they differ and what is a better way to go and do I have to change much on the block to go to solid rollers. Do they oil the same? are solid lifter more maintinence? I have always used hyd. rollers but I see that I can make more HP and TQ with the solid rollers. Any help would be awsome.
    If this is your daily driver you would probably be better off staying with a hydraulic lifter. Solid lifters coupled with a solid roller cam will yield more power however you must adjust the valve lash approximately every oil change on a solid roller setup. This is due to the increased harmonic transfer through the valvetrain and the more aggresive nose radius and faster ramp rates of the solid roller camshaft lobe.

Comp Cams makes the Endure-X solid lifter. It is a probably one of the best solid lifters available, and it has an extra oil groove milled into the body allowing oil to get to the roller bearing.

LT1's use a standard SBC lifter bore of .842" so the lifter bores do not have to be touched.

Comment

Another thing about soild lifters is with good springs there is no valve float (Hince The 8000RPM 69' DZ302 Z28 Motor). Hydros are often only good to about 6500RPM.... But there is a rather expensive Hydro Lifter out that is good into the 8000RPM range. I also heard from a buddy at work that there are locking systems on the market that require very little maintance. They only need to be relashed ever year or so.
      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Working...
      X