opinions on wheels?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on wheels?

I just got my 96 firebird a week ago and I'm considering some aftermarket wheels. I've researched wheel patterns a little. Most places say that it is 5X120mm/5X4.75in. But several other sources have told me that its 5X120.3mm. So which is it? Will that 3/10ths make a difference? I'm thinking i wanna keep the same width on the tires and go with 18s. Does anybody have any suggestions? What do you guys have on your cars? Lug patterns, tires sizes, etc.? Thanks everyone.

Go with chrome z06 18 x 9.5's. I love those. They would require a 275/35/18 size tire.
    1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

The bolt pattern on a 3rd or 4th Gen F-Body, and on the 4th and 5th Gen Corvettes is 5 x 4.75". That 4.75" converts to 120.65mm. The pattern you quoted (5 x 120mm) is the BMW (and others) bolt pattern. In my opinion, it is a mistake to use the incorrect wheels on your car. Even though the difference is only 0.65mm (0.025"), the wheels are centered by the conical lugs. As the lugs tighten, the first one that seats incorrectly centers the wheel. Then the other 4, as they are tightened, change the loading on the studs from a combination of shear and tension to a more complex and stressful loading involving shear, tension and bending. The studs face an increased load that may speed failure, the wheel/tire is slightly off-center and the conical lugs can loosen as they "flex" in the wheel sockets, eventually damaging the wheel or in an extreme case, allowing it to fall off.

I have seen postings on several of the boards indicating that some people have "no problems" by using the incorrect fitment, but there is also a sprinkling of posts describing wheel and stud failures as a result of the incorrect bolt pattern. IMHO, its foolish to take a chance.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
      X