weld or bolt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weld or bolt?

Im ordering subframe connectors this week and i was thinking of going with the slp ones. Only problem is i dont know if i should go with the bolt in ones or the weld in ones. I was thinking that it would be easier to do grade 8 bolts with the bolt in ones but thought i would ask first. Also any suggestions on any other types of subframe connectors that could be better then the slp ones?
    1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
    1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

I saw an interesting "install" article in Chevy High Preformance about 5 years ago, involving SFC's on a 4th Gen, and they strongly recommended the weld in approach. Their reasoning was that even though you might be bolting into the cars "subframes", they are still made of a relatively thin sheet steel, and could "tear" from the continuous cyclic loading on the SFC's as the body tries to flex.

I personally have never seen a bolt tear through, but I have seen "mixed" reports on the various forums.... some claim no prolbems at all over extended periods of time, others report problems. If you go with the bolt-ins, keep an eye on the bolts. Make sure they stay tight, and watch for signs of stress. If you find problems, you can always have them welded. Mine are "welded".

Just a thought.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I would also say go weld-in. I got bolt-in SFCs, but the only reason I did that was because I could do it myself. But, with bolt-in SFCs, you can always weld them in later, which is what I'm planning on doing.

I don't know much about the SLP SFCs, but a lot of 3rd gen guys get Spohn SFCs and love them. That's my $0.02.
      1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
      Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
      Trans: TH700R4
      Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

I would recommend weld in's over a bolt in design any day. But like mentioned you can also weld a bolt in SFC at a later date.

Regards,
        Ryan
        Ryan
        Owner of-
        UMI Performance Inc-
        Manufacture of:
        F-body Chassis & Suspension Upgrades

sales@umiperformance.com

www.umiperformance.com

Comment

I would get the weld-in type and to cover all bases if you are concerned get a set of aliston and a set of Spohn. Both will fit and neither will interfere with the other. only thing about the aliston is they lower ground clearance by a small amount.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
          In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I don't think Alston makes SFCs for 4th gens, but I could be wrong.
            1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
            Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
            Trans: TH700R4
            Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Spohn only makes SFC's for the 3rd Gens and for the LS1 4th Gens. He needs to modify the front connection on the LS1 bars to clear the fuel lines on the LT1, which run differently than the LS1 fuel lines. I know he's working on them, because he had me take some pictures and some dimensions from my car, but that was quite a while back.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                Spohn only makes SFC's for the 3rd Gens and for the LS1 4th Gens. He needs to modify the front connection on the LS1 bars to clear the fuel lines on the LT1, which run differently than the LS1 fuel lines. I know he's working on them, because he had me take some pictures and some dimensions from my car, but that was quite a while back.
                There is also S&W race cars SFC for 93+ It looks like a good one.
                S&W Race Cars

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade