Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 FB V6 - MAJOR project - need help and suggestions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 FB V6 - MAJOR project - need help and suggestions!

I recently picked up an 82 FB, with t-tops and a beautiful engine (she has a soft and warm purr at 4,000 RPM, and you seriously can't hear it when she's idle). The interior is shot to heck due to a leak in the t-tops. The driver's side door has been reverse engineered, and no longer works - the door handle is broken off as well. The speedometer, and the odometer do not work, and the power steering pump is shot. The air conditioner does not work, I probably need a new carb (she drinks too much feul - even for a V6), and the rims look like they were slavaged from the yard. The power seats don't work, but the body is in relatively great condition, and I got it all for $350. The windshield was cracked across the top, so I replaced it with PPG glass for $150. Of course, now the windshield fogs up every time it rains (without fail), and since the air con doesn't work, I can't see a darn thing when it rains...

So, at this point, I'm $500 in on a beatiful hunk of metal with a great engine. I will post pics early next week.

What I'm really looking for, is a cheap service manual, and lots of advice on what to fix first/next - and about how much I should expect to pay for the parts, as well as pointers on what to look out for while performing the repairs.

Thanks to everyone for the help!!

Sounds like you've got quite a project ahead of you! Fun though! You should be able to get most of what you need at a salvage yard if you look around, there's even some of the larger ones on the internet that will ship to you. Try to see how much of what you need there, could save you a lot of money in the end. Most of the work you could do yourself over a couple weekends, assuming it's not your everyday car, and you can afford to leave it set in pieces for a few days.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

First off, welcome to the boards!

Now, I don't know much about the early 3rd gens (82-92 F-bodies), but I do know some great websites for you to check out:

These are places to go for used, restoration, and performance parts for 3rd gens:
      www.hawksthirdgenparts.com -This is a great place, I've dealt with them before and almost no one has had problems with this company (and there also only 30 min. away from me).
      www.f-bodymotorsports.com -It's identical to Hawks, but just so you know, some people have had problems with this company, but I don't know this from personal experience.
      www.yearone.com -Another great place but there is stuff is slightly overpriced sometimes.
      www.fbodyjunk.com -Basically an online junkyard for F-bodies.

This is, by far, the greatest website for 3rd gens. You can get almost any question you have answered here. It's great and filled with info:
      www.thirdgen.org

For a service manual, you can either get a used one from Ebay, or a new one from:
      www.helminc.com

Junkyards are also great places for parts. Don't forget about those, too. Also check for state or local F-Body clubs in your area (there has to be at least one), they should be able to help you out, too.

Since this is a project, take your time and go slow. Nothing looks worse than a hurried-up project (car or not). Be patient and don't get too frustrated. Watch out for major rust or water damage, cracked ground effects, missing body pieces, bad weatherstriping, hacked up wiring, misaligning hoods and doors, etc. I have no idea how much it's going to cost for this project, but make sure you save up about 2 times as much as you plan on spending. Trust me, it's all the little stuff that kills you.

Good luck, and keep us up to date!
      1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
      Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
      Trans: TH700R4
      Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Hey welcome to the board. I had a 1984 TA,all I can say you couldn't kill that car , engine or tranny, when sold it had 186k hhehe. Carbs usualy need a rebuilt, mine needed one i was getting semi truck economy, check engine light never went off too many codes. have fun!
        1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
        "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by Benm109
          First off, welcome to the boards!

Now, I don't know much about the early 3rd gens (82-92 F-bodies), but I do know some great websites for you to check out:

These are places to go for used, restoration, and performance parts for 3rd gens:
          www.hawksthirdgenparts.com -This is a great place, I've dealt with them before and almost no one has had problems with this company (and there also only 30 min. away from me).
          www.f-bodymotorsports.com -It's identical to Hawks, but just so you know, some people have had problems with this company, but I don't know this from personal experience.
          www.yearone.com -Another great place but there is stuff is slightly overpriced sometimes.
          www.fbodyjunk.com -Basically an online junkyard for F-bodies.

This is, by far, the greatest website for 3rd gens. You can get almost any question you have answered here. It's great and filled with info:
          www.thirdgen.org

For a service manual, you can either get a used one from Ebay, or a new one from:
          www.helminc.com

Junkyards are also great places for parts. Don't forget about those, too. Also check for state or local F-Body clubs in your area (there has to be at least one), they should be able to help you out, too.

Since this is a project, take your time and go slow. Nothing looks worse than a hurried-up project (car or not). Be patient and don't get too frustrated. Watch out for major rust or water damage, cracked ground effects, missing body pieces, bad weatherstriping, hacked up wiring, misaligning hoods and doors, etc. I have no idea how much it's going to cost for this project, but make sure you save up about 2 times as much as you plan on spending. Trust me, it's all the little stuff that kills you.

Good luck, and keep us up to date!

WOW! Great links! Thanks!

I figure that I should start with essentials first...

So, I'll start with replacing the power steering pump. There's so much room under the hood that I could probably climb in and sit on the engine block to do it.

After that, I'll fix the speedometer so that I know how fast I'm actually going (don't need any more tickets.)

Finally, I'll fix the carb, so that I can save a little on gas.

On to the interior... before I can fix the insides, I need to fix the t-top leak, and the trunk leak - I hear that the trunk leak is very common.

Does anyone know what would cause the windshield to fog up in the rain?

Thanks again!

Comment

WOW! Great links! Thanks!
            No problem.

On to the interior... before I can fix the insides, I need to fix the t-top leak, and the trunk leak - I hear that the trunk leak is very common.
            Any leak is common for a 3rd gen (oil, coolant, t-top leak).

Does anyone know what would cause the windshield to fog up in the rain?
            Most windshields fog up when it rains. The only solutions I know of are to either roll down the windows or turn the defroster on. I know you said the AC is shot but what about the heat?

If you want me to I can give you a list of the F-Body clubs in your area. Just post or PM your city and/or state, if you're interested.
            1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
            Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
            Trans: TH700R4
            Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
            X