What to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do

With winter right on the horizon I need to start to think about my motor swap. I am putting in a 383 stroker which when finished should dyno at 360HP and 430TQ. My question is dual 2.5" exhaust or 3"? It will have to be all custom as 3rd gens have no provisions for dual exhaust. Or should I just go with a a good single cat back? I realize duals will be much more expensive due to custom fabrication. 3" pipes will really cut down on clearace and they are harder to get over the axle due to space. Will dual 2.5" be enough?

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Well, from what I hear, a single 3" exhaust is good up to 400 HP. I would probably just go that route. Just get some good shorty headers, ceramic coat them if you want, with a matching y-pipe that ends in 3", then get 3" tubing all the way back to the muffler of your choice and the tips of your choice. I think a dual 3" may be too much, but I'm no expert. That's just me, though.

Although, I have always figured that it would cost about the same to get a single 3" or a dual 2.5." You can long tube headers for 3rd gens for about $150 to $200. The best shorty headers cost about $350. I think you might can get a y-pipe for long tubes from a company called Mufflex, but I'm not sure on that.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that knows more than I do.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

I would do some long tubes to a custom y pipe, to 3inch catback. Thats just me. Or just run open headers.
      1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

you could also if you think you need it get long tubes with a x-pipe or h-pipe to dual bullit mufflers and turndowns before the rear. Most extreme
        I LOVE COBRA'S -
        THEY TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!

95 SS clone- LT1, t-56, pro 5.0, short stick, sidewinder knob, AS&M headers, 3.73 , TA cover, Borla exhaust, MSD , BMR- chromoly suspension, Torq Thrust II

Comment

Working...
        X