LT1s w/N2O set-ups...w/in pls!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1s w/N2O set-ups...w/in pls!!!

I'm looking for pictures to see how some of you may have located your solenoids. With all this new purrrty motor work, I want to get those dang solenoids OFF my fuel rail and put them to the side somewhere.

Anyone know of someone that can make custom bracketry perhaps?

Perhaps some of you can show me what you've done to make the N2O a little more appealing to the eye?

I appreciate it!!!

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Actually, mine are hidden for the most part. I drilled a little hole in the fan housing at the bottom of the radiator, and bolted an angle plate (with all three solenoids mounted on it) to the fan housing. It's safe and hidden. The only way you can see it is to get under the car, or lean all up on my fenders or nose, which gets you shot
    "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

Wet? Nice thing about "dry".... less solenoids

Making the hoses longer will build some "delay" into the system. This isn't always bad... may give you a fraction of a second extra to develop some traction before the juice hits. Don't be afraid of long lines, just be sure to keep the system symetrical if you have two nozzles.

With my original 5176 dry kit, the solenoids were attached to a bracket near the drivers side shock tower brace:

With the current dry setup, I have everything behind the drivers headlight, including the purge and two nitrous solenoids:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the ideas

Fred, I actually have been studying your site looking at how your dry system is mounted...the thing that had me worried is making longer lines to the TB plate. I have a wet system here is a photo of how it looks now...well how it did before the 355 went back in.

In the location you have yours, I have a CAI sitting in the way...LOL.

I'm thinking about the EGR area, due to the fact that I no longer have one. I think that would problematic just due to the difficulty of reaching back their to do plumbing.

I'd rather not put them on the passenger's side of the engine bay...that area is pretty congested as is.

PLEASE keep those ideas coming

KnightFire
        1993 Formula Firebird

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Not sure of exactly what you goals are, but I was always a fan of a hidden system. Plumbing the bottom side of the mainfold with hard lines and mounting the solenoids behind the motor and low on the firewall. No visual shock factor, but really .

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
            Not sure of exactly what you goals are,
            Joe,
            I'm just trying to get them off the fuel rails so that it doesn't have the cluttered appearence it does now. Not too mention getting them out of the middle of the engine bay would allow me to run all the wiring along a firewall or fender.

I'm just gathering ideas as to where I could securely mount them...I honestly don't care if they show or not
            I do like the hidden systems....but at this point, trying to hide what my car is capable of is like putting lipstick on a pig. LOL

KnightFire
            1993 Formula Firebird

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Originally posted by KnightFire
              at this point, trying to hide what my car is capable of is like putting lipstick on a pig. LOL

KnightFire
              That's too funny.

Do the tops of the solenoids have a couple of tapped holes for mounting purposes? It seems like my last set had those.... pretty handy in mounting them to an aluminum plate. I took a sheet of aluminum, fabbed up a bracket and mounted the two solenoids on the underside of the bracket. Basically, they hung below the bracket and even if you saw the bracket from the top, it obscured the solenoids. On an LT1, I toyed with the idea of hidden lines. I wanted to use the Throttle body coolant lines as an outer cover for the nitrous and fuel lines. I hadn't figured out how to hide the nozzles, there would have to be some serious modification of the TB itself, so I chickened out. Talk about stealthy! If you aren't concerned with stealth, why not fab an 2 brackets, one for fuel and one for nitrous and mount them using the rearmost (is there such a word?) bolts for the intake? There should be plenty of room, they would be out of the way yet still accessable when needed. The long lines would give a softer hit, though.

Comment

Working...
              X