No heat?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No heat?????

ok this is the story. i have a 96 z28 81000 miles and no heat. the water pump is new. ive had less them what i would call normal heat since i got the car but i lived in CA then so i didnt care. Now i live in VA and i really care. also i cant get the low colent light to go out. any help???

The low coolant sensor is a problem on the LT1's.... isn't unusual for them to crud up and stop working. Remove it and try and clean it. If that doesn't work, its a GM replacement part. Or if you check your coolant regularly, and don't rely on the light, simply unplug the sensor, that will turn the light off. The sensor is on the back of the passenger side end cap, a few inches below the fill cap. Shoebox has a photo of it on his website.

First be sure the coolant level is correct. Bleeding the air out of the LT1 cooling system is a little more difficult than most cars, and needs to be done "by the book" to insure there is no air in the system.

The heater core is also known to plug up on cooling systems that haven't been well maintained. Its hard to get the heater core lines off, but you need to get them off, either at the firewall end, or the water pump end, and flush the heater core out with a hose.

When working with coolant and water, under the hood.... BE VERY CAREFUL TO AVOID GETTING THE OPTISPARK DISTRIBUTOR WET.... or you will be posting a question along the lines of "why won't my car start?"
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
    X