Rims For My 84 Z28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rims For My 84 Z28

The Chrome Iroc rims i got just arent doin' it for me...any other sugestions??
    I was thinkin' some Chrome Z06 rims...but im still not sure

In order to use the C5 wheels, or 4th Gen F-Body wheels on your 3rd Gen, you need to correct for the backspace problems. The 3rd Gen rear axle is 3" narrower than the 4th Gen rear axle, so the 4th Gen wheels will have at least 1.5" too much backspace to fit on a 3rd Gen. The C5 wheels, such as the Z06 have even more backspace than the 4th Gen F-Body wheels.

You can get a very high quality adapter that will allow you to fit the large backspace wheels on your 3rd Gen. Its basically a billet aluminum cylinder, with holes to bolt it to your stock hub using your stock lugs, and carrying 5 new studs to bolt the large backspace wheels to.

You really need to be EXTREMELY carefull with the "offset/backspace" issues on the 3rd Gens. Some 3rd Gens had different backspace requirement for the front and rear wheels, and either the wheels could not be switched front-to-back, or they came from the factory with "spacers" already installed to allow them to be swapped.

I would look for a 3rd Gen specific wheel. That smaller backspace on the 3rd Gen allows the wheel to have a "deep dish" at the front face of the wheel. The 4th Gen wheels, even the ZR1 17x11's, are very "flat" and shallow on the face.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      In order to use the C5 wheels, or 4th Gen F-Body wheels on your 3rd Gen, you need to correct for the backspace problems. The 3rd Gen rear axle is 3" narrower than the 4th Gen rear axle, so the 4th Gen wheels will have at least 1.5" too much backspace to fit on a 3rd Gen. The C5 wheels, such as the Z06 have even more backspace than the 4th Gen F-Body wheels.

You can get a very high quality adapter that will allow you to fit the large backspace wheels on your 3rd Gen. Its basically a billet aluminum cylinder, with holes to bolt it to your stock hub using your stock lugs, and carrying 5 new studs to bolt the large backspace wheels to.

You really need to be EXTREMELY carefull with the "offset/backspace" issues on the 3rd Gens. Some 3rd Gens had different backspace requirement for the front and rear wheels, and either the wheels could not be switched front-to-back, or they came from the factory with "spacers" already installed to allow them to be swapped.

I would look for a 3rd Gen specific wheel. That smaller backspace on the 3rd Gen allows the wheel to have a "deep dish" at the front face of the wheel. The 4th Gen wheels, even the ZR1 17x11's, are very "flat" and shallow on the face.
      You cannot even fit a 4th gen wheel on the front of a 3rd gen. It hits the steering knuckle. I once tried to fit a salad shooter on a 88 camaro. No way. It would take one heck of a spacer, and I dont think that is safe.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

SLP sells some 4th gen style wheels for 3rd gens. Mainly the ZR1s, which look pretty good on 3rd gens. You can definetely get 4th gen wheels on your 3rd gen, you just have to know the right size of spacer to use (the company that makes the spacer should be able to help you out). Tons of people have 4th gen wheel on 3rd gens, with the use of spacers, and had no problems (on Thirdgen.org, at least). Typically, you can get up to 8" in width with no modification. At about 9" or above in width, you have to start banging and massaging the inner fenders.

There are tons of options out there. I've seen all kinds of rims on 3rd gens. American Racing Torq Thrust IIs and Ds, ROH Snypers and ZSs, OZ Monte Carlos (discontinued), reproduction Ronal Firehawks, every kind of 4th gen wheel (salad shooters, WS6s, SLPs etc.), Boyd Coddington Smoothies, etc. Just check out www.thirdgen.org and search around.
        1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
        Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
        Trans: TH700R4
        Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
        X