Best Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Engine

This is just a post your opinion thread but what do you guys think some of the best engines ever are. Could be anything from reliability, power whatever whats your opinions?
    I'm going with the LT1 of course but I also have the say the power tech Inline 6 used in Jeeps. I had one in my Wrangler that I ran the crap out of up till 120.xxx miles and sold and it was still strong as new and I watched my brother run a cherokee to 225.xxx miles before he wrecked it (he then tried blowing the engine up before it went to the junkyard by holding it at 5k rpms but it just overheated no engine damage). And he now has one with 150k on it and its still running strong. I do have to admit though they do seem to leak a bit but other than that strong engine with tons of torque. What are some of your favorites?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

I'm not sure any engine can be classed as the best...but I can name a few that make my list.

Most of not all of GM's small blocks...no brainer...LS1-2-6 top the list though
    GM's 3800II engines...maybe not as powerful, but solid as rocks
    Honda's B series engines...peppy engines the least
    Nissan's VQ engines...JD Powers best V6's
    Cadillacs Northstar

Every manufacturer has it crown jewel engine...Toyota, Chrysler...

But, with every try GM makes it's pushrod more polish, more clean, more perfect everytime...not being biased either..the more tehy work on it...the better their small block gets.

the HEMI is up there too...

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

well, strictly speaking from the engines in the cars that i've owned, the 4.6L V8 from Ford was a solid engine in my 95 Thunderbird. I drove that car for 6 years, and it was already 4 yrs. old when I bought it, and I never had ANYTHING on the engine itself break, until I hydrolocked it (bent 3 rods and a bunch of valves). It had over 120k miles on it, and I have no doubt it would have gone many more had it not been h-locked.

now, i'm not gonna say it's the most powerful engine, but it was very reliable for me.....

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
      CAGS Eliminator

Comment

from personal experience the LT-4 in my dad's 96 collectors edition is amazing. that engine is a tank! but of course the LS1 and LS2 are out of this world. we will see how dependable the LS6 is. i think it might be the best
        00 Z28, M6 T-Tops

SLP Intake and Flowmaster Exhaust

Comment

Small block Chevys are definitely good motors
          The turbo Buick 6 was great...good for cruising, but fast when you want it to be
          Big block Chevys are definitely the ticket for big, bad power
          Old school Chrysler Hemis were definitely nice
          Not a big fan of Ford motors, but the 67 427 that came in the Shelby Cobras was definitely quick
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Working...
          X