Is it my water pump????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it my water pump????

This morning on my way to work I blew the top radiator hose. As soon as the temp guage buried I shut the car off and coasted into the parking lot. I replaced the hose and filled it up with coolant, but it still buried. I then replaced the thermostat and got the same results. I am pretty sure the water pump is bad, but I also cannot get the fans to kick on. How do I check the fuses for the fans? I guess tommorrow night I will be pulling the water pump off. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Also, is there a high volume aftermarket pump I could put on that would be a nice upgrade since I am already replacing it if it is bad.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up and totally worn out, loudly proclaiming......WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

ya a electric water pump from thunder racing is good and get a fan switch and kick them on and off urself

Comment

Originally posted by RyanB58
        This morning on my way to work I blew the top radiator hose. As soon as the temp guage buried I shut the car off and coasted into the parking lot. I replaced the hose and filled it up with coolant, but it still buried. I then replaced the thermostat and got the same results. I am pretty sure the water pump is bad, but I also cannot get the fans to kick on. How do I check the fuses for the fans? I guess tommorrow night I will be pulling the water pump off. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Ryan
        Were you sure to properly bleed the air from the coolant hoses after you filled with coolant? Do you see coolant coming out of the weep hole of the water pump?

LT1 equipped B/D-cars have an electric fan setup with a 150-watt primary passenger side fan and a 100-watt secondary driver's side fan. The electric fans are independently operated by the PCM based on the inputs from the ECT sensor, A/C pressure sensor, VSS, and various other sensor inputs.

The fans operate under PCM control at the following engine temperatures and A/C system pressures:

Temperature A/C Pressure
        Primary (RH) Fan ON 107 C 225 F 189 psi
        Primary (RH) Fan OFF 103 C 217 F 150 psi
        Secondary (LH) Fan ON 111 C 232 F 240 psi
        Secondary (LH) Fan OFF 107 C 225 F 210 psi

Comment

I left the car at work and took a company car home last night. Today I checked everything and drove her home. She ran at around 190-200 degrees, and only topped 210 when I was sitting at a long stoplight. I do not think the fans ever kicked on, but I could feel water pumping through the hoses. I suppose the next step is to determine why the fans are not running, and while I am at it I think I will install the manual fan switch. At least I know the water pump still works.

Comment

I left the car at work and took a company car home last night. Today I checked everything and drove her home. She ran at around 190-200 degrees, and only topped 210 when I was sitting at a long stoplight. I do not think the fans ever kicked on, but I could feel water pumping through the hoses. I suppose the next step is to determine why the fans are not running, and while I am at it I think I will install the manual fan switch. At least I know the water pump still works.
            I've never heard of a water pump that stopped working. When they go bad they leak, but the impeller still spins. As long as the impeller is spinning, it will pump water. There is not all that much to break. Unless it is leaking from the weap hole, it should be OK.
            Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

As Fast TA said that fans won't turn on at 210. There is nothing wrong with it.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Nothing Wrong? O.K., you guys are the experts and I am just a newbie. I am still going to install the manual switch however. Thanks guys very much!!!

Comment

As far as the water pump not working, I am not sure about a car but I know I spun the impeller in my motocross bikes before and then hoses would burst. I guess cars are different. Cut me some slack, I am new at this.

Comment

As far as the water pump not working, I am not sure about a car but I know I spun the impeller in my motocross bikes before and then hoses would burst. I guess cars are different. Cut me some slack, I am new at this.
                    I have had a plugged radiator cause a car to overheat. If it continues to overheat and you are sure the fans are coming on and the thermostat is open, I'd change the radiator.
                    Tracy
                    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                    Current Mods:
                    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
                      I've never heard of a water pump that stopped working. When they go bad they leak, but the impeller still spins. As long as the impeller is spinning, it will pump water. There is not all that much to break. Unless it is leaking from the weap hole, it should be OK.
                      The original water pump on my TA failed due to the failure of the inner bearing on the driveshaft. It was barely pumping at all and I was experiencing immediate overheating problems just like RyanB58. I replaced it with a brand new pump and it ran perfect. Water pump failures are not uncommon and sometimes they won't even warn you by way of the weep hole.

Comment

Working...
                      X