Suspension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension

My 4th Gen is starting to get a lil shaky and not as tight as when I bought it. I have put new tires on. Is there somethign I can do to improve the ride quality and suspension specifically? My friend was telling me about shocks and struts and springs. Would that help? What do you guys recommend for driving it daily on street? Brandwise and sizes? What are my options? Thanks in advance for any help
    -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

If you're looking to stiffen the frame, I'd go with a set of subframe connectors...
    '99 T/A WS6 w/ Borla cat-back, K&N, SLP SFC, SLP STB, BMR boxed LCA's, BMR Adj. torque arm, BMR panhard rod, BMR springs, and Short Stick
    (a list I know, but if I don't put it here, I'll never write it down anywhere else)

Comment

Hello,

Shocks will be the most noticable increase, you will be suprised the difference a new set of shocks will do. I am assuming it is a few years old with some miles.

Let us know your plans for the car and we can help with some recomendations on brands as well.

Regards,
      Ryan
      Ryan
      Owner of-
      UMI Performance Inc-
      Manufacture of:
      F-body Chassis & Suspension Upgrades

sales@umiperformance.com

www.umiperformance.com

Comment

My car is a 97 Formula and is in great condition with only 35k on the clock. I wanted to start with maybe some sub-frames and shocks or something. Idk opinions?
        -Lou -

Comment

Sub-frame connectors and strut tower brace my bird has 43K and these two items improved the car 150% its the best thing I have done to my car I have Don Goetz SFC and would highly recommend them
          1997 Trans AM WS6 vert
          1 of 463
          LT4 knock module
          D. Goetz sub-frame connectors.
          strut tower brace
          SLP fan switch
          160* t/stat
          Drilled and slotted rotors/ Earls SS brake lines/ Hawk pads
          DMS 1.5" progressive lowering springs

Pictures Here

Comment

I've put SFC on my Camaro and my old Mustang. I have been amazed at the difference it made on both cars. These are the ones I used on my Camaro http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-body...frameconnector . I used the boxed ones. They are bigtime overkill. It really helped eliminate a lot of "noises" in the car.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Hello,

We have 10% off sale going on right now on our subframe connectors

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7465

Lifetime warranty of the craftsmanship

Regards,
              Ryan
              Ryan
              Owner of-
              UMI Performance Inc-
              Manufacture of:

sales@umiperformance.com

www.umiperformance.com

Comment

New shocks for a 97 with only 35k miles???

I'm on my originals and my car handles fine with the stock suspension. I have almost 120,000 miles on it. The only mods for handling that I do have are subframe connectors and a strut tower brace...Firestone Firehawks help too. I'm finding it hard to believe you need new shocks...what do you mean when you say "not as tight" or shaky?
                Joe K.
                '11 BMW 328i
                '10 Matrix S AWD
                Previously: '89 Plymouth Sundance Turbo, '98 Camaro V6, '96 Camaro Z28, '99 Camaro Z28, '04 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Subframe connectors should be the first chasis/suspension mod anyone does.

I recommend weld on.

I wish I had some. It is on my list of things to do.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:
                  SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

My Z is a 1995 hardtop and I installed SFC's a couple years ago and I could even notice a diff (being a hardtop). Since then I have installed SLP's Level 1 suspension pkg including Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 1LE sway bars and its very tight for a 9 year old car with about 100K miles on it.
                    95 Z28, A4, 3.23's and some other stuff....

Comment

ok im going to put an order through for some SFC's and panhard bars. Do you guys reccommend the adjustable panhards as opposed to the non-adjustable ones and why? I need 2 panhard bars right?
                      -Lou -

Comment

Originally posted by lt14mla
                        ok im going to put an order through for some SFC's and panhard bars. Do you guys reccommend the adjustable panhards as opposed to the non-adjustable ones and why? I need 2 panhard bars right?
                        you only have 1 panhard bar. It controls the left-right location of the rear axle. People typically replace it when installing extra wide rear tires, so they can center the car over the axle perfectly an prevent the tires from rubbing the inner fenders.

You might be confusing it with swaybars. There are 2 swaybars, one front and 1 rear. Installing bigger ones with stiffer bushings will improve handling considerably.

First I'd do the SFC's, then the swaybars.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Heres a pic of a Panhard bar installed, the panhard bar is the longer sliver bar running across the car next to the muffler.

http://www.umiperformance.com/ebay/images/2020g.jpg

Hope that helps!
                          Ryan
                          Ryan
                          Owner of-
                          UMI Performance Inc-
                          Manufacture of:

sales@umiperformance.com

www.umiperformance.com

Comment

Working...