What's the diff? chrome vs. polished aluminum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the diff? chrome vs. polished aluminum

I'm looking at buying some 17" OE ZO6 replicas off of ebay. I'm pretty sure that i want to go with the shiny wheel on the black car. I noticed that the polished aluminum is around $490 while the chrome is at $620. What is the difference in the two? Does the chrome last longer than the polished aluminum or are you just paying that extra $130 so that you can say, "Yea they're chrome! "
    1993 Formula - 99k
    Throttle body bypass, K&N FIPK II, SLP Loudmouth, Mad Z28 Chip, 3.73 motives, TPI airfoil, Spohn LCA relocation brackets, Fuddle 3200 Stall, B&M Supercooler, LS1 driveshaft, and chrome ZR1's 17"/9.5" and 17/11" in the back!!!

Originally posted by blackfire93
    I'm looking at buying some 17" OE ZO6 replicas off of ebay. I'm pretty sure that i want to go with the shiny wheel on the black car. I noticed that the polished aluminum is around $490 while the chrome is at $620. What is the difference in the two? Does the chrome last longer than the polished aluminum or are you just paying that extra $130 so that you can say, "Yea they're chrome! "
    Chrome wheels are usually a steel or alloy that have been chrome plated with a 3-4 step electrolysis process involving alkaline copper, zinc, nickel, and then finally the chrome. Chrome has a much more reflective and hard "shine" to it than polished aluminum does. Chrome is also easier to maintain than poilished aluminum. Soap and water on a regular basis will keep the chrome shined and in good condition with only an occasional chrome polish needed to be applied.

Polished aluminum on the other hand needs to be polished with a metal polish pretty regularly but it is worth it. I do mine about once a month.

As far as wheels are concerned, I prefer the look of polished aluminum over chrome. To me it just looks better. Looks more business than chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by fastTA
      Chrome wheels are usually a steel or alloy that have been chrome plated with a 3-4 step electrolysis process involving alkaline copper, zinc, nickel, and then finally the chrome. Chrome has a much more reflective and hard "shine" to it than polished aluminum does. Chrome is also easier to maintain than poilished aluminum. Soap and water on a regular basis will keep the chrome shined and in good condition with only an occasional chrome polish needed to be applied.

Polished aluminum on the other hand needs to be polished with a metal polish pretty regularly but it is worth it. I do mine about once a month.

As far as wheels are concerned, I prefer the look of polished aluminum over chrome. To me it just looks better. Looks more business than chrome.
      im with him on this too.

plus...you get a chip in chrome.. and it starts rusting from the "inside" out..pretty soon.........you got flaky wheels.......

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Its possible to clearcoat polished aluminum, to eliminate the maintenance issues. My AFS ZR1 replicas came with clearcoat, and require no more than a coat of Zaino every once in a while to help them shed brake dust.

I also have the uncoated polished Weld Pro-Stars, and because of limited use, they need one "good" polish a season, and a touchup for any "show" events. Would definitely take more frequent polishing in a daily driver.

After living in CA, where every car seems to have oversize chrome plated (and sometimes gold plated) wheels, I prefer the slightly softer look of the polished aluminum.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

sorry to hijack your post dude, but Fred i love your car

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
          Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

Chrome is cool...if it's stay clean it looks awesome and attracts a lot of attention. I loved the way my chrome 16" TA rim reflect the sun and literally bling when it spinned...

But my vote goes for polished Aluminum...not as clean a little harder to maintain...but looks much more serious and meaner...and expensive (to me at least).

My Speedlines with the clear coat looks amazing with a shot of Z5 and Z6.

But if you can get your hands on gloss black with silver/polished/chrome lip...that takes the cake, hands down.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Aren't the aluminum wheels lighter in weight as well?
              2006 Saturn Ion Redline
              2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

I have 18 aluminum wheels with crome coating same weight as a strait aluminum wheel. Only difference is the shine. one draw back of chrome is the chiping but if your in town or on the highway this is probably not a real problem. Aluminum is much harder to keep clean. One thing I would suggest is to stay away from wheel designs that are very sharp and angular as they are much harder to polish/clean than a nice set of smoth flowing rims. This is experience talking as I hated polishing my Eagle alloy 202s but my BossMotorsort 304s are a breaze.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Chrome, easy to keep clean and it looks good!
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue Metallic, Blue Leather Interior
                  Traded in: 1998 Z28
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotwhip9

Comment

Originally posted by lt1maro
                    sorry to hijack your post dude, but Fred i love your car
                    Thanks!

Originally posted by ryan34
                    Aren't the aluminum wheels lighter in weight as well?
                    Just about every wheel you would consider putting on your car is some form of aluminum alloy. The weight is lighter, relative to steel, but no one would put a stamped steel wheel on an F-Body (except for the ones that came stock on the V6 Camaros). The only difference in weight between a polished wheel and a "chrome" wheel is the weight of the microspcopic layers of copper and chrome that Kevin describes in his response. I doubt you could measure the difference between two identical wheels, one polished and one chromed, with anything less than a laboratory grade scale. The C5 had a true "mag" wheel available, made from very light weight (and highly flammable) magnesium alloy. They were offered as a $3,000 option on the domestic C5, and "standard" on the export C5's.

My first "alloy" wheels were a set of 15X8" Cragar S/S wheels that I put on my then-new 1966 GTO..... The wheels were actually a polished aluminum center section, with a chromed stamped steel rim. They were not clear coated, and had to be removed at the first sign of snow, because the salt used on icy roads would coat the wheels with a furry white powdery corrosion, with black stains beneath the corrosion. Simichrome polish was about the only available remedy.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
                    X