Knock Sensor (LT1) Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knock Sensor (LT1) Question

Could a hard detonation from a lean condition possibly damage a knock sensor.

Also, if a knock sensor was getting lazy......what all could it affect, even if it's not retarding any timing?

Mine seems to be working, but I was getting about .5 to 1.5 degrees of retard for no aparrent reason with about 1/3 throttle or more.
    Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Originally posted by Fastbird93
    Could a hard detonation from a lean condition possibly damage a knock sensor.
    I doubt it.
    Also, if a knock sensor was getting lazy......what all could it affect, even if it's not retarding any timing?
    Nothing, assuming the PCM is still seing the required 2.5V in the sensor circuit. If it doesn't see the required voltage, it sets DTC 43 and starts retarding the timing a variable amount (based on load, rpm) to protect the engine.
    Mine seems to be working, but I was getting about .5 to 1.5 degrees of retard for no aparrent reason with about 1/3 throttle or more.
    It might be worth checking the sensor. It is possible for foreign matter to get into the sensor and make it overly sensitive. I recall one case where they pulled the sensor and found a gob of RTV that had found its way into the cooling system. You can also check the resistance of the sensor (4,500ohms +/- 1,000ohms) and make sure that the PCM is providing the proper voltage at the sensor (5V +/- .5V, from the sensor wire, unplugged, to ground).
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred, I was hoping you would pop in and give me some insight. Thanks for the information. A service manual is great for troubleshooting and fixing, but does very little in ways of explanation of how it works/interacts.

I'm just scrounging ideas around. I haven't run the car with the new (old stock) lifters in it yet, so if the knock is still present I'll try the 100 octane test, then go after the sensor.

Thanks!
      Active Duty USAF KC-10 Boom

93 F-Body Service Manual DTC and Driveability Charts

Comment

Working...
      X