Turbo question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo question

Does anyone know the stock compression on an 95 LT-1? I'm considering a turbo for my car. I only wanna run about 7lbs. I have a 52mm throttle body and stock 24lb injectors. I have bosch in tank 255 pump. The rest of my mods are in my sig. I'm just getting sick of spending $35 dollars on nitrous refills. I will still run nitrous, but only a 75 or 100 shot. I don't know that much about turbos, so I have the following questions:
    To be honest, I don't really know what the compression is. It is atleast 10:1 or 10:5. I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to compression, so I can't tell you much either about the pistons or the rod length. The heads are afr 190 and the chamber size is 56cc. The can I am running is a 224/224 dur with a .554/.554 life w/ the 1.6 rockers. I have a moser rear with 4:10 gears The crank is also stock. Iwould like to be in the 450-500 rwhp range without the nitrous. I say 7 lbs because I'm assuming I can get away with the stock injectors. I had the computer programmed by psmforless, but tuned by a local guy. Basically I'm looking at the rear mount turbo from ststurbos.com. Also, I've decided to do a turbo because I'm looking for more power than what I got on the street without having to bring the bottle along.

1.Are my injectors an ok size with a 100 shot and turbo? I have a direct port kit, so that elimates the need for bigger injectors on the nitrous side

2. Is my 52mm throttle body big enough?

3.Computer reprogramming?

4. Clutch recomendations? spec stage 3 or 4?

5. How do I check my current compression? I think it is 10.5 The block is bored .040 over and I have JE forged pistions and eforged eagle rods.

6. Am I insane for even thinking about this?

Thanks guys!
    1995 z-28, six speed, centerforce d.f clutch, moser4:10,afr heads, zz-409 cam,full tubes w/ c.o.,nx direct port kit-150shot,hoosier qtp's
    dyno
    NA -356 rwhp, 360ft/lbs
    N20 -510rwhp, 521ft/lbs

Stock compression is 10.4:1. I can only answer a few questions.

1) Stock 24 lb Injectors are good up to ~400-450 hp.

3) I would suggest it...Ed Wright or pcmsforless

6) It all depends...daily driver, all out race car, etc?
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

What are your power goals? That would really help to narrow down what turbo to recommend and your supporting mods needed? Which cam are you currently running? Stock heads? Stock crank? Stock programming? Stock rearend?

Do you know the CC volume on your AFR's? What about the piston dish volume? Here is a pretty good compression ration calc for both static and dynamic?

http://kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

Any reason you have your heart set on only 7 psi even with forged rods and pistons? Depending on what your dynamic compression works out to be will greatly detrmine how much boost will be feasible and how much boost before you will exceed the ability to run pump gas.

Let us know what your static CR equates to and then we can give some much better advice.

Comment

To be honest, I don't really know what the compression is. It is atleast 10:1 or 10:5. I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to compression, so I can't tell you much either about the pistons or the rod length. The heads are afr 190 and the chamber size is 56cc. The can I am running is a 224/224 dur with a .554/.554 life w/ the 1.6 rockers. I have a moser rear with 4:10
        1995 z-28, six speed, centerforce d.f clutch, moser4:10,afr heads, zz-409 cam,full tubes w/ c.o.,nx direct port kit-150shot,hoosier qtp's
        dyno
        NA -356 rwhp, 360ft/lbs
        N20 -510rwhp, 521ft/lbs

Comment

the crank is also stock. Iwould like to be in the 450-500 rwhp range without the nitrous. I say 7 lbs because I'm assuming I can get away with the stock injectors. I had the computer programmed by psmforless, but tuned by a local guy. Basically I'm looking at the rear mount turbo from ststurbos.com. Also, I've decided to do a turbo because I'm looking for more power than what I got on the street without having to bring the bottle along
          dyno
          NA -356 rwhp, 360ft/lbs
          N20 -510rwhp, 521ft/lbs

Comment

Where can you get a turbo?? How much? Is it possible to make a twin turbo set up for our cars? If so, where do you get the stuff? I've heard of people using custom turbo's from imports and stuff for their third gens but that boggles my mind. Sorry for the rapid fire questions but the thought of my car with a turbo (or two!) is exciting.
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I avoided this post originally, because I've never done a turbo setup, but since your PM asked me to respond:

=============
              To be honest, I don't really know what the compression is. It is atleast 10:1 or 10:5. I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to compression, so I can't tell you much either about the pistons or the rod length.

You're going to want something in the range of 9.0:1 for a turbo setup.
              ==========
              The heads are afr 190 and the chamber size is 56cc.

190cc runners may be a little tight. If the AFR's are "as cast", then you could probalby see a decent gain in flows, and enlarge the runners with a good port job. "As cast" AFR's aren't all that great, IMHO.
              =========
              The cam I am running is a 224/224 dur with a .554/.554 life w/ the 1.6 rockers.

Maybe not a good cam for a forced induction setup, although I'm more familiar with S/C's than turbos. Its also not a good cam for nitrous. You generally want extra duration on the exhaust side, and reduced overlap via a wider lobe seperation angle.... say 230/242 114LSA.
              ==========
              The crank is also stock.

Marginal for 600HP. Should be replaced with a low $$$ forged crank. You're looking at a rebuild... new crank, new pistons to get the correct CR, P&P heads, new cam.
              =======
              I would like to be in the 450-500 rwhp range without the nitrous. I say 7 lbs because I'm assuming I can get away with the stock injectors.

No. See below.
              ========
              1. Are my injectors an ok size with a 100 shot and turbo? I have a direct port kit, so that elimates the need for bigger injectors on the nitrous side'

You might get away with 24's on a 450flywheel HP normally aspirated engine, but I wouldn't even push 24# injectors that hard. Anything over 400flywheelHP N/A needs larger injectors to keep the duty cycle down. Lets say you could make 400HP N/A with your current heads/cam setup, and add 50% more HP with 7# of boost. You are looking at 600HP. Power adders (nitrous, S/C, turbo) will have significantly higher brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) figures. I'd size the injectors based on a BSFC of 0.55, and an 80% duty cycle. That works out to 52#/HR. You could reduce that to 45#/HR by running the fuel system at 4bar (58.0psi). You would probably be looking at low impedance injectors, and would need an outboard "black box" driver for the stock PCM to handle them.
              ========
              2. Is my 52mm throttle body big enough?

Probably.... but a 58mm wouldn't hurt.
              ========
              3. Computer reprogramming?

You shouldn't even have to ask this question. No way you could just drop 7# of turbo boost on a stock program PCM and have it work anywhere near the required performance.
              =========
              4. Clutch recomendations? spec stage 3 or 4?

Approaching "Street Twin" territory.
              ========
              5. How do I check my current compression? I think it is 10.5 The block is bored .040 over and I have JE forged pistions and eforged eagle rods.

You can't check it (well, if you were a NASCAR tech you could check it - but most mere mortals don't have the required equipment). You need to know all the data asked for in the link Kevin gave you.
              ========
              6. Am I insane for even thinking about this?

Your questions indicate a bit of naivete', not insanity .
              ======

Keep in mind... I'm no turbo expert.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
              X