No announcement yet.

NFB: remote car starter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I haven't been using it. Every wire I've tried for the tach learning it won't learn it. I don't have the alarm one, just the remote start by itself. I gotta get ahold of DEI and see what they say.

Originally posted by MN6WS6
    TruckMuddr, DO NOT USE YOUR REMOTE START ANYMORE!! You will eat up your starter, and if you did not engage EVERY wire in the harness, you will burn up that 4L60E. That's the kind of stuff that I was talking about. You need to get a cheat sheet from DEI. It will tell you every wire you have to energize, and where to get the tach wire. You also have to "learn" the tach to the alarm brain. If you don't do that, it will never start right, even if you do have the right wire.
    Richard Harvey Jr.
    '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
      I doubt it. I dont think any shop would want to be responsible for the kid that gets killed when your car runs them over after you press the start button with it in gear. Not a good idea.

you can have it done quite easily on an M6 car....you would just need to sign a waiver of liability like i did. but be warned, they make you sign the waiver for a good reason....i'll just link to my story on LS1Tech, since it's kinda long: My Story

all i can say is that if you are in the habit of leaving the car in gear instead of engaging the parking brake to keep it from rolling, make sure it's anything other than gears 1 & 2......

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
      CAGS Eliminator

Comment

I had mine walk across a parking space on me once, but I got it stopped before it hit anything. That was the last time I forgot that I left it in gear.
        "No, officer, that bottle is my onboard Halon system"

Comment

yeah, i have definitely learned a very valuable lesson about it....if i do choose to put it in gear to keep it from rolling, i will most definitely make sure it's in such a high gear that it will die as soon as it's started.....

Red '02 Z28 M6 - purchased 6/24/04 with 11,706 miles
          CAGS Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by Ken(Bone Breakin Chevy)
            How involved is installing an electric car starter? i want to put one im my gf's alero for her because she cant stand the cold. thanks alot
            -ken-
            What year is the alero? Its probably not too bad to do on it. MN6WS6 is right about causing damage, but if you research the job and think about what your doing, its really not difficult. I did my wife's (at the time g/f) 96 Grand Prix and it was fairly easy. The biggest PITA was the VATS system. You have to measure the resistance across the chip in the key and buy a resitor from radio shack to wire into the ignition switch to fool the PCM into thinking the key is in the ignition. Other than that, it was just following instructions.
            96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
            11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

yea i got one on ebay, when it comes in ill get back to you on that. thanks
              -ken-
              ~~~The Twisted One~~~

My 30th is gone but soon a new era will begin.

Comment

Originally posted by 02Z28
                yeah, i have definitely learned a very valuable lesson about it....if i do choose to put it in gear to keep it from rolling, i will most definitely make sure it's in such a high gear that it will die as soon as it's started.....
                A higher gear may not hold the car on a hill. It just might be enough of a ratio to turn the motor and roll.
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:
                SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by Ken(Bone Breakin Chevy)
                  How involved is installing an electric car starter? i want to put one im my gf's alero for her because she cant stand the cold. thanks alot
                  -ken-
                  For a while I used a long flat head on my TA
                  1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                  2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Working...
                  X