1994 Firebird overheating, please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Firebird overheating, please help

i have a 94 formula. the fans don't seem to be kicking on when it gets to the temp they should kick on. I have checked the following, both fans work, i have checked all 4 relays and are all working well, i have replaced the temp sensor, (not the sensor for the gauge, the one for the cpu). and also replaced the radiator cap. Any ideas of what else it could be, or what other testing i should do, im kindof stuck and don't want to spend 60 or 70 bucks an hour to let a mechanic tear it up. <kansasvmax94@yahoo.com> is my email. please help me.

it around 60 to 70 degrees average temp here right now. the car runs fine temps as long as i don't let it just sit and idle. but once i let it sit and idle for a while, it'll warm up past where the fans used to kick on. i recently replaced tranny, and this is same time period the overheating problem started. the only thing i messed with when doing tranny, is flushed radiator. THanks again anybody that'll help me. BOBBY

Does one fan kick on like it should when you turn the A/C on?

Without the A/C on, the first fan turns on at 226degF and the second one at 235degF. Is your coolant getting that warm (between middle and 3/4-mark on gauge)?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I had the same problem. if she was moving, she was running fine, but as soon as she stopped, she burned hot and fast. it was the water pump. i think you have the same problem.
      78 Trans Am
      94 Formula Firebird

KYB AGX adjustable gas shocks
      Eibach Prokit springs
      Hypertech Power Programmer
      Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust system
      Mufflex offroad Y-pipe
      Nology hotwires
      Denso Iridium spark plugs
      K and N cold air filter
      Hooker super competition long tube ceramic coated headers
      Jet billet steel pulleys
      MSD HVC Blaster coil
      Flex a lite 2500 CFM fans
      245/50 16 BF Goodrich G-force KDW tires
      SP Performance Diamond slotted rotors
      EBC Greenstuff Brake pads

Comment

hows the coolant recovery tank? alot of them crack and the radiator can't suck coolant in. also.... sticking thermo stats are a plague. ive installed new ones and had them stick right away. especialy the STAT line.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

My airconditioner quit working because of low freon. Like i said i believe the heating problem because the fans aren't coming on when there supposed to. anyone know why they not coming on, i checked fans, relays, and replaced temp sensor.

Comment

Working...
          X