SLP headers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP headers

Ordered mine on SLP day. Anybody installed these before? Any tips on installation.
    1995 Firebird Formula
    (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

You need an O2 harness extender for the Drivers side. The Random tech converter is a slip fit for the Y pipe, but be aware that the converters are junk (I failed emissions from one and had the warranty replacement fall apart inside). Get the headers coated, but first check the flanges for straightness and evenness and sand them on a belt sander if necessary. The Earl's gaskets work great, I had leaks out the bottom with copper gaskets due to them being the wrong shape & size at the bottom of the port for this combo. Get good quality ARP fasteners. If you need to, do plugs & wires at the same time. You might want to protect some of the boots with fiberglass sleeves. I kept my headers & engine compartment from getting scratched up by using duct tape to protect from scratches. There is minimal clearance at the driver's side Y-pipe/header joint due to the crossmember, so you might want to tighten one screw a bit and turn the clamp a little more then tighten up the other screw to cinch everything up - you'll see what I mean when you get that far. Good luck.

Comment

Few more q's....

1- Where can I get the 02 harness extender?

2- Where can I get the ARP Fasteners, not exactly sure what I need. Part #'s would be greatly appreciated.

3- It says to remove steering intermediate shaft. Never done it before. Any tools/tips/pics.

4 -Anybody heard anything about catco cats? They are pretty cheap on ebay, mabey a little too cheap...

Looks like the headers should be here by mid next week, so I am trying to get everything together, and get a plan of what to do. Thanks
      1995 Firebird Formula
      (A4 3.23)Ram Air w/ K&N, TransGo Shift Kit w/3 washers ,SLP~Shorty headers, LoudMouth, Air Foil, LineLocks. Catco Cat. Hypertech 160. TB Bypass. MSD~8.5mm. Walbro 255lph. FT MAF ends. LT4KM. BMR~Adj LCA's, Rear sway, Panhard rod. HAL QA1 rear shocks. Random Tech adj TQ arm. Nitto NT555R's. Covered in Zaino. 13.466@103.85 N/A. [1.948 60' 13.410 @ 102.66 11/20/05]

Comment

hmmmm.... Anybody?

Gotta place the order soon.....
        1995 Firebird Formula

Comment

I don't know how relevant all this will be, I have the slp shorties but in a dual cat car, the Y is going to be different. The headers fit easily, but as mentioned the steering shaft needs to come out. Remove the pinch bolt from the lower coupling at the base of the shaft where it joins the rack, if you don't remove the bolt and just loosen it, you'll fight it for way longer than needed. Remove the upper bolt from the slip joint just before the firewall. The shaft comes right out. Just be sure the steering column won't turn. I recommend doing plugs and wires while you are at it. The passenger side is the bigger PITA, but still not like doing long tubes. I like to wrap the headers with newspaper and tape during installs to avoid marring the finish of the headers or the engine bay. I also run firesleeves on all plug wire ends along with a reflective heat shilding on surrounding surfaces. I would also be sure to get the coated headers. There is less heat transferred to the engine bay. Don't over-tighten the flange bolts because they can be warped. Maybe I'm a little too anal, but I like to use anti seize on all bolts too.

Comment

I got the DEi Protectaboots on the back 4 plugs, and the SLP kit comes with 4 also, so I am good there. Wires are less than a yr old, so they should be fine. Plugs are NGK TR6 for the nitrous, but I am going to order a set of them. I spent the extra $ to get the coated ones.

I am gonna place the order tonite for the catco cat and ngk's, and ARP bolts. I am looking at the ARP stainless 12-point #400-1201.

Where can I find the O2 harness extender? Anyone?
            1995 Firebird Formula

Comment

Here you go

Thunder Racing

Comment

Perfect!!!

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully everything will go smoothly, and I can get it done quickly. It's gettin kinda chilly out there.
                1995 Firebird Formula

Comment

Just a note but when my SLP headers went in, we had to relocate the heater core return line on the passangers side. It runs very close to the primaries so we just cut it and ran an new, relocated line. Just something else that I thought I would pass on that you should look to avoid that I ran into. Watch all lines that run near your headers.
                  97 SS #C007
                  Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                  SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

It's different on a 97 cause of the dual cats - not a problem on a 95 single cat car.

Comment

I wasnt sure if there was or wasnt a heater line there on a single cat car. I was just pointing out that you should watch for lines and wires touching the primaries. For some reason I remember my buddy telling me that he had the same sort of problem with a line touching or near his headers. But he could have been tlking about something else
                      97 SS #C007
                      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

Working...
                      X