Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3.73 Gears & An Electric Speedo... HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.73 Gears & An Electric Speedo... HELP!!

Hey guys,
    I hate to ask this question, because I am sure its been asked before. But I have been searching the forums for 30 minutes and cant find an answer to my question.

I have a 91 RS 305TBI/700R4. I recently swapped 3.73 gears into it to replace the stock 2.73's. I need to fix my speedo. I have a electric speedo w/ a VSS. The guy at the GM dealer cant help me because now my car isnt stock. (If a computer cant tell them... They give up) Are the speed sensors driven by a gear? If so, do I need to get a new speed sensor, or a new drive gear? Part #'s would be helpful if you have them, but I would love to at least know what I should be looking for.

Thanks,

Mark B
    No F-Body right now

Yep, you have to change a couple of gears, a gear on the VSS and a gear on the rear of the trans. somewhere. I found a chart somewhere on Thirdgen.org, let me see if I can find it for you.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

when i did mine in my 1994, i needed to change the reluctor ring only in the rear end, the one that presses on with the ring gear on the carrier, and i also got the speedo calibration unit from SLP.
      2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
      1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
      past rides:
      1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
      2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
      1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
      2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
      2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
      1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
      1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
      1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

The new issue of Chevy High Performance has an article about swapping out speedo gears. Has charts of speedo gears and axle ratios.

'87 Camaro - 2.8L MPFI, 700R4 swapped to T5, B&M Ripper Shifter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, CATCO high flow cat, K&N air filters, 180 degree thermostat w/200-180 fan switch, 3.42 rear end, Global West steering brace, polyurethane bushings/trans mount, Spohn adjustable torque arm.
        '88 Formula (stolen), '96 Camaro RS, (sold), '91 Firebird (sold),
        Bruce, μολων λαβέ

Comment

Working...
        X