I always found this odd..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always found this odd..

How many times have you guys turn off a highway exit and watch your gas needles drop from half full (or where ever your needle was before) to E, then have it bounce right back? This has me wondering if our gas tanks are v-shaped from inside?
    Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Originally posted by DJ Taso
    How many times have you guys turn off a highway exit and watch your gas needles drop from half full (or where ever your needle was before) to E, then have it bounce right back? This has me wondering if our gas tanks are v-shaped from inside?

put the bong down.......... you'll be ok..................

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
    Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
    sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

lol, I'm serious.

Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

More like funnel-shaped. Ever notice how much faster the needle drops from 1/2 to E? Much faster than from F to 1/2.

Comment

Its just because the fuel in the tank in slooshing from side to side in your tank. Since our tanks are upright between the rear seat and the hatch compartment the float has a long distance to travel that a normal under carrage tank. SO the float slooshes up and down with the fuel and when you are brakeing from 65 MPH there is a lot of force pushing the fuel to the front of the tank and away from the float. I think that makes since. I guess I need to put it down too.
          1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
          2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

mine does that to. And i know what you saying about going from 1/2 to empty faster then full to 1/2
            1994 Camaro Z28 Bolton's, stall, 275 nitto's - SOLD
            1998 Camaro SS looking for 120+MPH N/A

Comment

that happens to me all the time around turns especally when i give it a lil gas
              -Lou -

1997 30th Anniversary Firebird Formula

Comment

That definitely happens to me alot as well, especially the going faster from half to E than f to half. About a month ago, i had just under 3/4 of a tank, go to shell and top it off with V-Power (which is about $2.34/gal). It took $22 to top it off from just under 3/4 ! About a week later, i was around E. All i had was ten bucks, so i go to the same shell again and fill her up. I get back in my car, and i was just a hair under a half tank.
                Tell me how that works
                black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Ya I just found this a week ago. I knew that I had half a tank of gas, then comming off of this off ramp I look down and the gauge reads empty. I got nervous for a second because I was a long way away from a gas staion, but then the gauge popped up back to over half again.
                  1997 Trans Am WS6
                  6 speed transmition
                  Flow Master cat back
                  other than that its stock

Comment

thats why i always look at my milage..at worst i assume ill get 15mpg lol that gives u a rough estimate..atleased in my pos daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian WS6
                      Ya I just found this a week ago. I knew that I had half a tank of gas, then comming off of this off ramp I look down and the gauge reads empty. I got nervous for a second because I was a long way away from a gas staion, but then the gauge popped up back to over half again.
                      The same thing happened to me when I first got my car. It scared the c*** out of me. I was not used to something like this and I thought I had just purchased the most massive gas guzzler.
                      97 SS #C007
                      Polo Green w/ tan leather A4
                      SLP headers, Loudmouth, Koni SA, Spohn LCA, Spohn PHR, Spohn relo brackets, pro-kit, B&M Stage II Shift Kit, air foil, 160 therm, LT4 KM, BFG KDW

Comment

wanna talk about messed up fuel gauges??? How's this

I get 100 miles before it passes the full mark, then from full to E I average 130 miles. So when I'm on 1/4 to 1/8 tank, I better find a gas station and pretty quick.
                        Richard Harvey Jr.
                        '94 T/A LT1 (stock) - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                        X