Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got new door panels and..

I have a couple of problems..

1st they are from a NEWER (2000 i think) camaro and they are a different tan color I hate to think I wasted my money..
    My car is a convertible so I can't just BUY all new trim for the inside very easily.. any suggestions on how to make it look GOOD without replacing everything? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I thought about pulling everything out and trying and use that interior paint and paint everything a tan color.. but I want new seats and I don't want to jump the gun and make it look worse after I get them. If possible I want to get 2000 or newer seats because the wear would be less on them I would imagine.

2nd after replacing my door panels now the locks move harder than what they did before.. I wouldn't THINK they would be mounted incorrectly as there is only ONE way to hook them up.. any ideas on why they are so much harder to move?

any help will be greatly appreciated...

AL

1995 Z28 M6 Ragtop
    Mods are:
    18X9 1/2 ZO6 rims
    Hot Wheels steering wheel cover
    Hurst Classic Shifter Ball with 6-speed pattern
    K&N CAI , I LIKE IT!! it REALLY does make a difference!

more pictures of the hooptie

Go to your local automotive paint store and take a sample piece of your interior, that is the correct color. Most of them have these machines that reads the color and automatically tells them the colors to mix together and how much of each color to achieve a match. Ask them to match that color and get them to mix a good vinyl/plastic type paint. You will need an adhesion booster as well, which is usually a clear type paint that helps the paint stick better, and keeps it from flaking off later. You will also need one of those touch up sprayers with the glass bottle and the aerosol canister for propellant. Most plastic interior pieces have Armorall on them and they will need to be cleaned thoroughly before painting. One good way is to use the purple whitewall/degreaser that can be bought at most auto parts stores. Use it full strength, and spray it on your parts and wash it off with water and allow it to dry out in the sunlight completely. I would suggest also using a product called "Wipe Away", to wipe the parts down before painting. Its made with orange extract and I think mineral spirits. After this dries, then use a tac cloth to get any remaining dust off of the parts. You will have to tape off any rubber parts, like at the top of the door panels, etc. Note: the color match is not going to be perfectly exact, but it should be close. Just test it on the back of one of your larger pieces. If its way off, then go back and show them, and they can make adjustments. Once you are sure that you have the correct color, I would suggest painting all of your interior pieces to get them to completely match each other.

As far as the door locks being tight, I'm not sure what that could be. I would have to see it for myself to be able tell what it is. It seems like I have had that problem before myself, but I can't remember what was the cause of it. Whatever it was, I apparently fixed it.

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

Originally posted by SFC AL
      I have a couple of problems..

1st they are from a NEWER (2000 i think) camaro and they are a different tan color I hate to think I wasted my money..
      My car is a convertible so I can't just BUY all new trim for the inside very easily.. any suggestions on how to make it look GOOD without replacing everything? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I thought about pulling everything out and trying and use that interior paint and paint everything a tan color.. but I want new seats and I don't want to jump the gun and make it look worse after I get them. If possible I want to get 2000 or newer seats because the wear would be less on them I would imagine.

2nd after replacing my door panels now the locks move harder than what they did before.. I wouldn't THINK they would be mounted incorrectly as there is only ONE way to hook them up.. any ideas on why they are so much harder to move?

any help will be greatly appreciated...

AL
      You dont need new seats. Just recover them. I did mine this summer and they look new now. It cost me about $270/seat.

As for the door panels, I would sell them and look for a set from a car the same year as yours.
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

yeah I probably will get them replaced EVENTUALLY, the door panels that is, but my old ones looked TERRIBLE and these at least LOOK nice so they stay for now. PLUS I only paid 70 bucks for the pair SHIPPED.. and I guess it might be a better idea to just get the seats recovered.. and if I do it that way I could do one seat at a time to limit a HUGE 600 dollar payment all at once.. I have an place by where I work that supposedly does it.. might just see about getting some ready made replacements and do it myself. I hear its not as hard a people think.

still would like to know how to fix my locks though

AL

1995 Z28 M6 Ragtop
        Mods are:
        18X9 1/2 ZO6 rims

Comment

I ordered the leather seat covers from Classic Soft Trim and installed them myself. Installation was easy. I'll install them for you for free if you want.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

sounds like a plan.. WHEN I get the seat covers I will give ya a yell.. you can look at the car on Halloween and let me know what you think.

thanks
            AL

1995 Z28 M6 Ragtop
            Mods are:
            18X9 1/2 ZO6 rims

Comment

Working...
            X