Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Vert TA question

Hi all,
    I've been looking for a Forth gen F-body. I originally wanted a 6 speed with T-tops, but I came across a pretty good deal for a 95 Convertible T/A 6 speed. Leather and CD. But from what I can tell the vert is about 200lbs heavier than a hatchback. Anyone know what a stock 95 Convertible T/a runs in the 1/4. I know the LT1 Hatchbacks run around 13.9-14.1 from what I've seen of the cars at the track. Also as far as modding one out what are the disadvantages of a convertible car?

Thanks
    Future f-body owner!

The world's quickest LT1 is a 3,900# 97 30th SS convertible:

I think if you find the factory table of model weights, there is only a 110# difference between the coupe and the convertible... maybe someone could confirm that. There are no real limitations other than the weight. Everything seems to be about the same. They do require a different sub-frame connector. There is an additional X-brace under the tranny, some sheet metal reinforcement inside the rear wheel wells.

You do need a 5-point roll bar to run NHRA tracks under 14.00-seconds. Coupes don't require that until you go under 12.00
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

shakin'

Another thing on my to do list is the shock tower brace and sub frame connectors. It has a lot of shake and rattles that these items will cure. Another thing I need to replace is my ragtop. The stiches are coming out.

But convertibles sure look good!

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

Hey Fred...

Are those New Jersey plates on that White & Red Ragtop? Where in Jersey is that car located. Also how do you get a Low 9second car to be street leagal?

Mark B
        No F-Body right now

Comment

I have had my '95 Rag Top for three years. I love it, and it's very rare. I think it's about 300#'s heavier then a coupe. I say, go for it

Comment

That is George Baxter's 97 30th SS convertible (white and ORANGE). Based in Central NJ, and a member of Central Jersey Camaro/Firebird Owners. Ultimately ran 9.04@155mph, with a 1.3X 60' time. Best run ever was at Island Dragway in Great Meadows, NJ. My video of that pass is on F-Body Hideout website. The pic above was taken at Cecil County dragway in MD. The car was actually on the way down by the time my slow reactions pushed the button on the camera.

The engine was a 383ci LT1, with a Vortech blower, running less than 20# boost, and a huge air-water intercooler in the front bumper cover. HP at the time was 1,125flywheel, about 900rwHP through a TH400 and Ford 9-inch. As raced, the car was titled, licensed and insured in NJ and still has an unexpired emissions sticker on it. Needless to say, it would not pass the "visual inspection"..... .

At about the 850HP level, it was tuned to pass rolling emissions, and did so. Funny thing is... with a S/C you only need a fairly mild cam, and you don't want any overlap, so emissions are not that diffcult to meet. At least not with a MoTeC engine management system, running closed loop with a wide-band setup.

The car has now been "stripped", the LT1 engine replaced with a Dart Iron Eagle aftermarket SBS, still at 383ci, some healthy Brodix heads, and yet larger Vortech blower. In "PRO/Edelbrock" Extreme Street trim is has made over 1,300HP. Without the limitations imposed by the PRO/Edelbrock rules, it should make about 1,500HP.

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
            X