put 6x9's in the rear.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• put 6x9's in the rear.

Yep, rear hatch area. I pulled the cover off to find a tiny little speaker, looked like it was about 2"! I thought something bigger would be under that big cover. Anyway, took it out, did some cutting to make the 6.9 fit.... Not too bad on the passenger side, but the driver side is a little tougher. Anybody ever done this? I had to cut the entire top of the speaker cover to get the speaker to fit (it's a 3 way speaker, so it has the two little speakers on top), and the magnet sticks out a lot, so the speaker can't go in straight on the drivers side. The install on that side didn't go so smooth, but the passenger side was fine.

Anyway, anybody else done this?? System sounds so much better. Wanted to try fitting an 8" in the speaker spot next to the backseat, but got too cold and dark. Any info on that would be cool.

Oh yeah, those JBL's are pretty cool, I didn't know they did this... When bass hits, the red JBL logo on the speaker lights up and you can see it through the speaker cover. It's pretty sweet
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Everything I ever heard says the 6x9 speakers are quite inferior to a 6" round speaker. I think most stock speakers are really cheap and plan to replace mine next summer.

Comment

I tried the same thing, I got some 6x9's for christmas. Took off the covers and found the same thing, two little speakers. Tried cutting out and did'nt work. Ended up building a box across the back area and cutting holes in the trim to fit it in. Sounded awesome with the speakers pointing toward the rear glass.
      But sad to say it got stolen with the rest of my audio equipment...left big ugly gapping holes!

Need to either find new trim on e-bay, or build a new box.
      93 Trans Am; Hooker Cat-back;
      Moroso cia; more to
      come...hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
        Everything I ever heard says the 6x9 speakers are quite inferior to a 6" round speaker. I think most stock speakers are really cheap and plan to replace mine next summer.
        The speakers I replaced were not 6" speakers. They were like 2 or 3" round speakers. Where the 6" speaker was, I Was trying to fit an 8" sub. I'm going to try it today.
        97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

The speakers I replaced were not 6" speakers. They were like 2 or 3" round speakers. Where the 6" speaker was, I Was trying to fit an 8" sub. I'm going to try it today.
          I never thought of that. Tell us how it goes and details if it works. Are you planning on using the stock amp for the 8" sub?
          93 Trans Am; Hooker Cat-back;
          Moroso cia; more to
          come...hopefully!

Comment

It will obviously work if you can cut it to make it work but dont be suprised if you smell your alternator burning because it was made to power the stock speakers. Just dont be afraid to amp it, the 6x9's and the sub with a capasitor too.
            89 305 TBI Camaro RS

http://members.cardomain.com/camarodude89

Comment

Originally posted by 89RS_dude
              It will obviously work if you can cut it to make it work but dont be suprised if you smell your alternator burning because it was made to power the stock speakers. Just dont be afraid to amp it, the 6x9's and the sub with a capasitor too.

your vehicles electrical system will be fine. Dont worry about the 6x9 speakers blowing your alternator. That is pretty silly.

I've run 500+ watt Soundstream amps in my cars, all with stock electrical systems and have not had a problem. Just dont sit and listen to the radio for hours without the engine running, or the battery might get too low to crank the motor.
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Working...
              X