1995 rear disc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 rear disc

i was replacing the rear brakes the weekend before last and i did them last year and really din't put much thought into it then and when i did them this time i had noticeed the slides were definitely needed to be lubed and so i put some bearing grease on them they looked like mud and now the back of my car is like a flock of birds going down the road... you expect to hear the rumble of a V8 but all u get it is chirping. i was just wondering on whats the recommended grease or what... someone told me use antiseize, and do u think i could have ate up my slides its been about a week now. (300 miles) brakes feel normal no vibrations, no pulsations everything is normal just a squeak.
    Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

you have two different issues. First, there is a dedicated caliper lube available at any auto parts store. you should take it all apart, clean thoroughly and reassemble with the proper lube. Second, the factory used an anti squeal pad made of a composite paper that resides between the disc brake pad and the caliper. If you did not re-use the factory paper, an anti squeal compound is also available called "brake quiet". It is applied to the back side of the pad and when re-assembled, dampens the harmonics that get transmitted from the pad to the calper which is what causes the squeal in the first place.

Comment

Remember when your cleaning your metal parts, surfaces you want a a non rusty smooth surface. I've used some sila-glide compund from napa in the past. I may have mispelled it as I can't find the tube at the moment. Clean is a key factor though. Just a few thought to keep in mind when your wheels are off next time.

Jared
      --- Jared ---

/ 95 Z28 Camaro (Mystic Teal) / LT1 (+.030) / LT4 Hot Cam / 52mm BBK TB / Moroso CAI / 4LE60 + transgo shift kit / 2200-2500 Stall Converter / PCMforless Custom Tune / Edelbrock TES Headers /

Comment

thanks for the response i am really stumped on this one i sprayed the disc quiet and it actually made the noise go away for about a day but it came back... i guess i could try again

could i have installed the brake pad clips upside down they pinch themsleves into the groove? When i took it apart i just assumed there was only one way, but i can't be sure.

would the rotors being cut to the minimum width have anything to do with it?
        i'll write more on saturday when i will finally get a chance to pull the tires off after work.
        Black 95 z28, 60k miles, 10 spoke SS rims, k&n cai, flowmaster,hypertech 3, 3.42's, running 13.8@ 101 with slicks

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs95
          thanks for the response i am really stumped on this one i sprayed the disc quiet and it actually made the noise go away for about a day but it came back... i guess i could try again

The anti squeal compound must be applied between the pad and the caliper. It's the harmonics generated from the pad to rotor contact that is transmitted to the caliper. That is why the pad needs to be "isolated". Like I mentioned, the factory installs a paper shim on the backside of the pad. Most people throw them away with the old pads when doing a brake job. I like to carefully remove them and re-apply. The liquid compound works, but I just like the factory solution. I have also made them out of thin gasket material. Simply spraying brake quiet works very short term. You have to get a barrier between the pad and the caliper.

Comment

Working...
          X