another engine swap question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another engine swap question

I recently had an '80 TA that I got for free that had a 400 from a 71 firebird in it. I wasnt doing too good in school so my mom sold the car, but thankfully I cleaned out the car of interior and engine.
    Im in the process of rebuilding the engine and Im thinking abtou waht to get for my next car. I was thinking another Trans Am (1971-1980 or 1998-2002) but I know they kinda weigh alot. But I saw a Grand Prix with a 502 in it, and It got me thinking, because they are lighter and smaller, would a 400 fit good and give good performance? Even though I am in love with Trans Ams and firebirds I just want something to get as fast as I can get it right now. Any comments?

Are you talking about a 60's - 70's Grand Prix because I had a 73 Grand am with a 400 and the weight about the same 4500LBS. a pontiac 400 would be a great motor for a 68-74 Ventura which is the same style X-body as the Chevy Nova, just different tail and front. There was also a 1974 GTO that was Ventura with a shaker hood. The 74' GTO only came with a 350 and were kinda slow, but a good breathing 400 Pontiac would move that 3400lbs car pretty nice. A 76-80 TA would also be nice and alittle more Economical.
    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

The grand prix I saw was somewhere areound 91-95 with a 502. I was thinmking those were alot lighter but I wasnt sure if they are rear-wheel drive. But if they arent, then Trans Am it is

Comment

91-95 grand prix not rear wheel drive cars.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
        Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
        6.2L/382.97 ci
        Custom PROM Dyno tuned
        WCT-5 speed
        BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
        Boss MS 18" Rims
        Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
        Custom Dual exhaust
        1LE upgrade
        Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
        In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Yeah bro, Now your going into uncharted teritory, that would invole completly redoing the front and rear suspension, the firewall, transmission hump, steering, brakes, I can keep going if you want me to. If you want a good car for that motor, get a car that came with it stock. You will save your self a BIG head ace. Go with a 68-74 X-body pontiac, there almost 500 lbs lighter than your TA and 67-69 F-body (camaro) suspension parts will work on them.
          1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
          2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

yeah, sorry, I mean just a rear wheel drive GP. I wasnt sure what years was rear wheel though. what would you rather have? Trans Am with a 400 or a Grand Prix with a 400?

Comment

id rather have a trans am

Comment

Working...
              X