FastTA, and/or others...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastTA, and/or others...

Was wondering if anyone on the board has gone with a single plane intake manifold or not. I have a rear mounted distributor already in the LT4 intake...but I'm just getting bored with the motor and want something sweeter. Carb???
    1996 Z28 body, the rest...drag car

What would be the point. If you were going to do all that, why wouldn't you just go with a World block and build up a spankin SBC. The only thing you wouldn't have is reverse cooling heads, but you could easily make up for it with all the highly developed heads & other stuff for that engine.

Comment

Originally posted by MurphysLaw
      Was wondering if anyone on the board has gone with a single plane intake manifold or not. I have a rear mounted distributor already in the LT4 intake...but I'm just getting bored with the motor and want something sweeter. Carb???
      Supercharger?

What PCM and distributor are you running? TPI L98 setup?
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Right now I'm running a FAST system with an MSD Pro Billet Distributor. I took off the opti and am only using the low/high res signal. The reason to switch over to a single plane intake manifold is that you could very easily make at least 30-40 hp and tq (probably some more). Its also going to be more air easily going into a single plane manifold, Holley 4 barrels are bigger than the lt1s (of course). I bet money that the motor would suck in a lot more air at very easy throttle than what it would be now.

I'm just thinking about a new setup. Maybe going to a EFI bour barrel throttle body? Could use the GMPP Lt4 Intake (part number 24502574) and just switch over to a carb setup. Just throwing around ideas...seeing what other have done...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that single plane intakes give higher rpm hp, where dual planes give you lower end tq...just thought I would throw that out there.

Comment

How are you using the low/high res signals from the opti if you removed it? I dont get it?
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Right now I'm running a FAST system with an MSD Pro Billet Distributor. I took off the opti and am only using the low/high res signal. The reason to switch over to a single plane intake manifold is that you could very easily make at least 30-40 hp and tq (probably some more). Its also going to be more air easily going into a single plane manifold, Holley 4 barrels are bigger than the lt1s (of course). I bet money that the motor would suck in a lot more air at very easy throttle than what it would be now.

I'm just thinking about a new setup. Maybe going to a EFI bour barrel throttle body? Could use the GMPP Lt4 Intake (part number 24502574) and just switch over to a carb setup. Just throwing around ideas...seeing what other have done...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that single plane intakes give higher rpm hp, where dual planes give you lower end tq...just thought I would throw that out there.
            First off, how do you run an MSD Pro-billet Distributor and the pulse signal off of the Opti? Second, why are you going to a 4BBL EFI setup when the SFI setup that comes on the LT1 is waaaaaaay better?
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

. The reason to switch over to a single plane intake manifold is that you could very easily make at least 30-40 hp and tq (probably some more). Its also going to be more air easily going into a single plane manifold, Holley 4 barrels are bigger than the lt1s (of course). I bet money that the motor would suck in a lot more air at very easy throttle than what it would be now.

Nope. It has been proven that a correct tuned EFI system still has the edge over a carb setup. This urban legend story of the older carbs being superior is just not backed up by facts. Actually, the fuel injection will have better drivability, enhanced tuning and better reliability. The only benefit from a carb application in this scenerio is that you could bolt on an intake and carb to one of these motors and drop it into another chassis without having the hassles of all the computer and wiring. The carb setup can be tuned nicely to run close to the EFI's performance, but it won't equal a properly tuned EFI's torque or horsepower. Now if you want to argue that a well tuned carb is better than a not tuned EFI, than that's fine. To change the system rather than tune it makes no sense, but to each their own.

Comment

9 pages of single plane manifold discussion from the Advnaced Tech board at CZ28.com:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194309

Just guessing here, but I believe what he meant to say was that he removed the high voltage function from the Opti, but is still using the optical signals to feed cam and crank position signals to his FAST computer, which then sends the timing signal to the distributor. In effect, he has simply relocated the cap/rotor section function of the Opti to the rear of the intake manifold.
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  9 pages of single plane manifold discussion from the Advnaced Tech board at CZ28.com:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194309

Just guessing here, but I believe what he meant to say was that he removed the high voltage function from the Opti, but is still using the optical signals to feed cam and crank position signals to his FAST computer, which then sends the timing signal to the distributor. In effect, he has simply relocated the cap/rotor section function of the Opti to the rear of the intake manifold.

Thank you sooooo much! Thats pretty much what I did in a nut shell. Basically the low res pulse fires injector phasing while high res pulse allows the computer (fast) to add and subtract timing. Those low/high res wheels on the opti are pretty much just like a crank trigger...so your leaving those in the opti...just take the coil wire and making it longer, running the plug wires to the rear mount distributor. Its exactly the same as the opti I just ran it to the rear of the motor. Oh yea, and the reason I did this is because my opti like to explode for some reason...I guess its spinning to fast???? I've gone through 7 and advance auto wasnt doing the arrenty after 8 times, so I decided to convert.

Steve93Z...you sure that a dual plane SFI is the "greatest" thing in the world?? What about the single plane VIC converted to EFI??? I'm just throwing around ideas but I gotta check this page out on single planes before I start opening my mouth.

Thanks for the link too buddy! I'm checking it out now!

Comment

Hell yeah, I'll be going with a single plane...now, the orginal question I had has been answered on that board (which I kind of liked). Has any one one this board done that conversion or any type of intake conversion on a fourth gen???

Comment

Steve, there are some improvements to be had in manifolds for the LT-1. However, a sequential port fuel injection is superior to a throttle body type.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                        Steve, there are some improvements to be had in manifolds for the LT-1. However, a sequential port fuel injection is superior to a throttle body type.
                        Do you think that it would be better to go with a single plane EFI manifold? And mount a 4 barrel to it?? There was a link in that thread that just had 4 barrels with LT1 style sensoring....

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320
                          While I don't doubt that, SFI is a far better FI system than EFI, and would think it better to improve upon the already-present SFI system than to convert to a single-plane EFI system. Granted, the single-plane setup would be pretty unique and better than the stock setup, I would stick with SFI and improve on it. Just my dos centavos. Take care everyone and have a great weekend.
                          Steve
                          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

well...how about i tell you the specs on my motor...i hate doing this....

396 with a pretty hugh..no let me rephrase that..a really [EDIT] big solid roller. looking to make about 480 hp

your thinking single plane intake for my motor now right???

[NOTE from Moderator: do NOT over ride the language filter]

Comment

So you going to set the idle at 2 grand, get 4 mpg and cruise the drive-in at 4000 rpms? Something like that will be killer on the track and a mess on the street.

Comment

Working...
                              X