How to Clean Stainless Steel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Clean Stainless Steel?

Sometime next week, I am going to purchase some rectangular stainless steel tips from a friend that previously had them on his 97 Z28 (he now has true duals ). I can't wait to install them on my car, but I don't know how to clean stainless steel. I'm assuming they be a little dirty since he had those tips on for about a year. So, basically, how do you clean stainless steel to like-new condition?
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

why, with mothers mag and aluminum polish... Maybe take some super fine grit sand paper, sand it until it's blinging, then polish it to a nice shine. It'll be lookin new in no time.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      why, with mothers mag and aluminum polish... Maybe take some super fine grit sand paper, sand it until it's blinging, then polish it to a nice shine. It'll be lookin new in no time.
      Yup! Mothers!
      Tracy
      2002 C5 M6 Convertible
      1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
      Current Mods:
      SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Thanks guys, I just wasn't sure if I should just use soap and water, or something special, but now I know!

CarDomain Site

Comment

I hate to bring back an old thread, but I need some help. I finally got the tips, and they need some work. I was just wondering what grit sandpaper would be good to start off with, and what grit to finish with (the tips have some scratches and small nicks)? Should I wet-sand them, or not? I have the Mothers polish, and it works great, by the way . Thank you.

CarDomain Site

Comment

I would start with some 400, work my way up to 1000, then maybe use some steel wool, then it's time for mothers and a terry cloth towel.

When I did my turbo, I started with a LOW GRIT sand paper, because it was rough.

See the grainyness? After about an hour of sanding I got it like this...

That wasn't the finished product, but that was after I used the 220. How bout some before and after pics of your tips
            97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Thanks for the help, raroZ28, but I just have one more question. What kind of steel wool (I'm guessing 0000) would you recommend?

About the pics, I'll see what I can do , but it'll probably be a week before I can get pics developed and ready (no digital camera).

Thanks for the help.

CarDomain Site

Comment

If they are relatively smooth, the 400 grit would seem a little coarse... maybe try the 1000 grit first, and if that doesn't do it, try 600.

When using steel wool, do not use "carbon steel" steel wool on stainless. The carbon in the steel wool will contaminate the stainless steel and can lead to localized pitting over time. Use "stainless steel" steel wool. Get the finest grade you can
                Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yeah, what fred said. Stay away from the 400 grit, my bad.

Comment

The course stuff is OK for as-cast aluminum. I've used 150->220->600 on my Baer brake calipers:

Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks everybody! I think I'll start with 600, because the tips are kinda rough. This is going to be a fun project.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Working...
                      X