LT Headers VS CA Emisisons Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT Headers VS CA Emisisons Laws

A while back I asked about Calli emissions laws and exhaust modifications. Injuneer gave me a web site that really helped out since I was looking for Emissions approved LT Headers. The only LT headers approved for 1998 Trans Ams were Hooker Super Competition Headers. I understand that the original or approved Cats need to stay according to federal law. Does anyone else know of any LT headers approved for CA emissions laws?

Thanx
    Mixedpuppy

1998 TA, mostly stock, SLP hood, ram air plastic intake, K&N Filter, Transgo Shift Kit, Kooks Stainless LT headers with Magna Flow Cats, Borla Exhaust (Medium plate setting), Kenny Brown SFCs, BMR Tower Strut Brace, 17" ROH RT Rims, 9.5 BFG KDWs, SLP Airlid, Smooth bore bellow, 85mm MAF. Nitrous to come. Action figure not included.

I don't think any are. Not only does there need to be OEM or CARB certified cats on the vehicle, but there must be the original number of cats and they must be in the stock location. LT headers would move them and thus be illegal...stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Steve's right...there are no legal longtubes due to the relocation of the cat. However, I've heard of some getting away with them when smogged. I recall someone using FLP longtubes (I believe) which comes with a dual cat setup in the y-pipe. He had to take it to a smog only "stricter" station. However, he said the guy didn't care, as long as he passed, and still had the cats. I personally think it depends on who you get.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

I wouldn't be to sure about that. He has a 98 LS1 - the LS1 has two cats, both down low on the exhaust pipes. It isn't like the OBD-I LT1's with a single cat, or the OBD-II LT1's with the drivers side cat crammed up hard against the exhaust manifold flange. I would suspect that the LS1 would be a little easier to make CARB compliant. Can't say for sure - just a guess.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X