First time at the track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time at the track

OK, first of all I have to say it is MUCH harder than it looks - I had NO idea! Basically my M6 > me! I had a real tough time launching it - I have never raced it before. Here was the best I could manage (on street tires - 50 degrees or so):

60' - 2.354
    330' - 6.078
    1/8 - 9.077 @ 83.05

1000' - 11.632
    1/4 - 13.793 @ 104.12

It is no coincidence this was my next to last run. I was getting the hang of it - in fact, my last pass I got it down to a 2.19 60' but I missed 3rd DOH! I had a great time and encourage anyone who has not made it out find a way. A club meet is the best way - the others who had done it before were really helpful and patient with a newbie! I can't wait until I reach the capabilities of my car - it obviously has more in it!
    Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Dyno'd 4/24: 330.9 RWHP/ 344.8 RWTQ (Before cam, headers, and pulley)

Dyno'd 5/1: 383.5 RWHP / 380.5 RWTQ (393 actual RWHP)

Yea it is tricky, i got to drive a friend of mines car and since mine is auto i dont drive manual that often . . . it takes some geting used to. Some practice and a few bolt on's can knock that thing to low 13's all day. Good friend of mine has an 01 and it runs like 13.2 with just an exaust and an airlid.
    -Nick-
    95 A4 Z28

Comment

A 2.19 is nothing to be ashamed of - pretty good on street tires. I have a manual tranny and im still trying to learn how to launch on the slicks. Its tough and it will never be anywhere near consistant.
      96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
      11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Yes, it really is a little more involved with a M6. But, once you start learning to feather your clutch out rather than just dumping the clutch...it will be a lot easier. 12 years ago I had that same problem and I had to learn the hard way. Now I just use a 3-step while burning out and launching the car. It's pretty cool, but if you start to bracket race you wont be able to be in a foot class anymore (with the 2 or even 3 step).
        1996 Z28 body, the rest...drag car

Comment

Originally posted by MurphysLaw
          Yes, it really is a little more involved with a M6. But, once you start learning to feather your clutch out rather than just dumping the clutch...it will be a lot easier. 12 years ago I had that same problem and I had to learn the hard way. Now I just use a 3-step while burning out and launching the car. It's pretty cool, but if you start to bracket race you wont be able to be in a foot class anymore (with the 2 or even 3 step).
          That works until you put a SPEC stage 3 in. THeres no feathering....its on or off.
          96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
          11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Yeah - I can honestly say I have never wanted an automatic more! I would never seriously consider an automatic since I love my 6 speed but it was frustrating having my butt handed to me by everyone in automatics. Left foot on brake - right foot on gas - see last yellow - remove left plant right - that's nice! Oh and then repeat....and wave at the guy in the manual as you pass him with your free hand!
            Silver 02 WS-6, 6 speed, Corsa cat-back, SLP lid, K&N filter, BMR STB, !CAGs, Lou's short stick, MSD wires, MTI "Hammer" cam, ASP underdrive pulley, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Comp 918s, TR pushrods, UMI Sfcs, UMI LCAs, NGK TR55s, Hotchkis springs

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
              Yeah - I can honestly say I have never wanted an automatic more! I would never seriously consider an automatic since I love my 6 speed but it was frustrating having my butt handed to me by everyone in automatics. Left foot on brake - right foot on gas - see last yellow - remove left plant right - that's nice! Oh and then repeat....and wave at the guy in the manual as you pass him with your free hand!
              Meh... if you get a decent enough of a launch, you'll take the lead in 3rd gear and wave buh-bye to them

Practice, practice, practice, Casey

2.1 is right where i am right now... high 2.1s, low 2.2s is my average now. I still need more work too.
              Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Like everyone I was hoping for better - never satisfied - but I had a great time - I am hooked for sure. I was looking at 2nd cars today - it won't be long until the TA is a toy I drive only when I want to - not because I have too. At this point I think I will need about 950 horsepower to see 12s

Comment

Originally posted by casey02ws6
                  At this point I think I will need about 950 horsepower to see 12s

Hahahaha! 12.849 @ 131

Highway runs would sure be fun!
                  Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

Casey, check your PMs tomorrow... I gotta get going now, but I want to talk to you a little bit about work...

Comment

Originally posted by N20LT4Bird
                      That works until you put a SPEC stage 3 in. THeres no feathering....its on or off.

yeah but i figured he didnt have a spec 3...thats my favorite clutch in the world! i have been running it with my motor for about 2 seasons now...awesome clutch guys!!
                      1996 Z28 body, the rest...drag car

Comment

Working...
                      X