Seatbelt Recall in 91 f-body??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seatbelt Recall in 91 f-body??

I have a 91 camaro and my seatbelt latch broke. The part where the button is. It must be something on the inside, because the button is fine but it wont latch. I can no longer put on my seatbelt, which is not good because delaware has a seatbelt law and the fact that i've already been in one accident because of someone else's dumb driving and i don't want it to happen again and maybe not get covered for breaking the law. Or worse DIE . So i heard that there was a recall but i can't seem to find one for my year, i can only find it for 82-89. Can anyone shed some light on this? Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
    2006 Saturn Ion Redline
    2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

I read through some literature on Thirdgen.org, and it got me a little confused, too. The recall is listed for certain 91's, not all of them . From what I've gathered, you should be able to call your local dealership, tell them your VIN number, and they'll tell you if you're car's had the recall or if it needs it (this doesn't always work, as I've found out from posts on Thirdgen.org). You can supposedly call Chevrolet and do the same thing, at 1-800-222-1020.

Here's a PDF I found about the 1991 recall: http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Ar...-91V067-NN.PDF

I also found the part number for the part(s) that are supposed to be replaced. The P/N is 14097930, $2.98 each at www.gmpartsdirect.com

I would definetely NOT drive without a seatbelt, but that's just me. What I would do for a quick fix would be to use another latch mechanism (from the rear seatbelts, for example). They should work just like the fronts, I'll double-check.

Hope this helps.
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Well if its only 2.98 then i'll have no problem buying one, i was assuming it would be a lot more since they were making a big deal about it on 3rdgen.org I couldn't get to the link about the recall but i'll check out the gmpartsdirect.com in a second. I'll also try the other link in a few minutes and if it doesn't work i let you know. I was thinking about using the rear seat belt too, but if i had 4 passangers that would be a lawsuit to happen. I'll keep you updated.
      2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

O.K. I got the link to work. I'll definitly call the dealership to see whats up. then i'll have to let you know. Hopefully they won't B.S. me like they did the other guys.
        2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Is the button pink-colored and/or chalky instead of red? That was one of the reasons for the recall, that the buttons were fading from the sun and causing the problems. Just curious.

CarDomain Site

Comment

Yes its faded, but its been faded for awhile. Ever since i bought it. Will that cause something internal to fail though?
            2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

Maybe, I really don't know. That's just what I found on Thirdgen.org, one of the documents said that if the buttons were discolored or chalky, than the recall should be done on that vehicle. Mine are slightly discolored and it's been like that since I bought it, too. I guess it's about time I order those parts, too, just in case!

CarDomain Site

Comment

Yeah, I'm lucky it just happened as i was trying to buckle up, not during an accident. I'll have to call a dealership tomorrow and see what the deal is on the recall. Or i'll just buy the parts. Won't be that big of a deal.
                2006 Saturn Ion Redline

Comment

I just wanted to shine some light onto the seatbelt recall. The recall number is 90-c-22. It pertains to 84-90 camaros only and pertains to those belts that do not latch or become unlatched. Those of you with the problem can have this recall done at your locall GM dealer. The part you are posting is correct, put the recall needs a special tool to replace the buttons. Also, sometimes the button kit DOES NOT fix the problem and the buckle assembly has to be replaced. The buckles cost about 70 dollars. I type this info from expierince, I just had this recall done on my 85 I-ROCZ. The button kit fixed my driver side but a new buckle was installed on the passenger side. So, my advise it talk to a dealer, more then likely someone will remember the recall, it is one of the most comon recalls in the early 90's. Please if there is any questions post them or e-mail me directly.

Comment

Thanks for posting that. I was kinda hoping someone who knew more than I did could shed some light on the subject .

CarDomain Site

Comment

Rules for Recalls?

Hi-I have a 1985 Camaro Berlinetta with seat belt buckles displaying the same problems described by this recall. I just got this car 2 weeks ago, so I am not the original owner. Does Chevrolet perform recall repairs on cars for someone who is not the original owner? And is there any time limit for when the repairs can be done? Does anyone know the rules regarding recalls or where I can find more info about it?
                      Thanx,
                      Robert

Comment

Originally posted by ChevyMetal305
                        Hi-I have a 1985 Camaro Berlinetta with seat belt buckles displaying the same problems described by this recall. I just got this car 2 weeks ago, so I am not the original owner. Does Chevrolet perform recall repairs on cars for someone who is not the original owner? And is there any time limit for when the repairs can be done? Does anyone know the rules regarding recalls or where I can find more info about it?
                        Thanx,
                        Robert
                        You dont have to be the original owner.

There is no time limit.
                        Tracy
                        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                        Current Mods:
                        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply!
                          Robert

Comment

wow now that i have read some i wonder if it applys to me....84berlinetta....ill have to check it out wheni get home.....ive had alot of problems out of them....didnt ever think what happens if i get into a wreak and it unlatches...and to think i had my lil brother in the car with me along side with my g/f...wow thanks guys
                            your racing 16 year old Camaro Berlinetta Digital Camaro 202 heads 4 barrel and soon to be headers with 4 inch running back

Comment

Working...
                            X