No announcement yet.

Help Me make my Z that much better....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me make my Z that much better....

Ok guys, As most of you have read or seen (in my sig or other posts) i have an 85 Iroc with a 383 stroker. I am having a few issues that maybe you guys have either have had or heard of and maybe can give me some advice on what i should do. Let me tell you guys before i start a list that i know my vehicle needs a new serpentine belt so if that is a cause of any of these just let me know but understand i know my belt needs replacement.

1) Starting the car - She doesnt wanna stay running at the very beginning, unless its like 85 degrees outside the car stumbles alot and just dies out. If i just rev up the car a little bit she still dies, i litterally either have to keep on the gas for a period of time (maybe 2 - 3 minutes and the RPM's at about 3 1/2 or 4) or just get in keep on the gas as much as possible get'er in drive and go in which case she will die at every stop for the first few times.

2) There are alot of times where i will be sitting at a red light or stop sign and go to hit the gas and she sometimes dies, or she stumbles goes almost under 500 rpms and then jumps up and goes.

3) On occasion even if i am using the high octane fuel, when i turn off the car she "diesels" out, in other terms she finishes a few strokes in the motor.

I also believe i have a minor mis-fire going on somewhere under the hood. Any help guys would be greatly appreciated!
    "Keep your Wheels a spinnin and the beavers a grinnin!"

My G Ride:
    1985 Chevy Camaro
    383 Stroker
    Edelbrock Performer Carb, Edelbrock 6089 Aluminum Heads, Speedpro 4000 series Cam, KB pistons, Chromemoly Rings, Rollertip Rocker Arms, Holley Fuel Pump, Headers (w/ y-pipe), Torker II Manifold, Comp Magnum Roller Rockers, 4:11 Posi Rear, 700R4 Trans with reverse manual valve body w/ B&M Mega Shifter, & NOS
    My car @ Cardomain

sounds a lot like it needs to have the timing set, and also have the carb adjusted, or the choke fixxed or adjusted.
    2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
    1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
    past rides:
    1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
    2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
    1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
    2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
    2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
    1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
    1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
    1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

thats the funny thing, when i went to set the timing 1 of 2 things is wrong option 1 my timing mark is WAY OFF! or option 2 my timing is just that horribly off (but everyone seems to think its option 1) lol

My G Ride:
      1985 Chevy Camaro
      383 Stroker
      Edelbrock Performer Carb, Edelbrock 6089 Aluminum Heads, Speedpro 4000 series Cam, KB pistons, Chromemoly Rings, Rollertip Rocker Arms, Holley Fuel Pump, Headers (w/ y-pipe), Torker II Manifold, Comp Magnum Roller Rockers, 4:11 Posi Rear, 700R4 Trans with reverse manual valve body w/ B&M Mega Shifter, & NOS
      My car @ Cardomain

Comment

What kind of distributer / ignition?

Comment

hmmm lol the distributor i believe is MSD or HEI i forget off the top of my head... its red lol.. and im not entirely sure on the ignition... could be stock....

My G Ride:
          1985 Chevy Camaro
          383 Stroker
          My car @ Cardomain

Comment

Originally posted by 85Iroc383
            hmmm lol the distributor i believe is MSD or HEI i forget off the top of my head... its red lol.. and im not entirely sure on the ignition... could be stock....
            most of your hard starting issues, and dieseling issue are most commonly related to timing. if the harmonic balancer is not defective, there are only a few reasons why the timing mark would be off. the tab is bent or not the correct one for that motor, the timing gears are not correctly installed, or the distributor is out one tooth or more. since you say the timing marks are off when you go to check timing, i would say its off a tooth, its very common, and the distributor can usually be cranked around enough to make it run ok, but no where near correctly. it wouldnt hurt to pop out the distributor and line the motor up on #1 tdc, and try floping the distributor back in. and re checking hte timing
            2000 WS6 T/A M6. Monster stage 3 clutch, flowmaster cat back, 4.10's, SLP lid, Hurst shifter.
            1996 Mustang GT 5 speed STOCK DD
            past rides:
            1996 Mustang GTS bright tangerine orange
            2003 Mach 1 azure blue drag car (10.90@118 record holder for fastest N/A mach)
            1969 Mach 1 house of colors candy apple red393 stroker 100 shot (10.829@125 in street trim)
            2003 Mach 1 Torched red FRPP aluminator/vortech 666RWHP
            2008 Mustang GT JDM stroker long block, Saleen 2.3 twin screw
            1980 Mustang L 13.7: 418 stroker
            1994 Z28 A4 rebuilt from wreck
            1994 Z28 A4 totaled

Comment

It is possible the advance mechanism in the distributer is not correctly functioning properly. I have even seen re-curve kits that totally mess with the timing. I would suggest a professional check the timing curve and tune it to match your engine configuration. The distributer will need to be put on a specialty machine, I don't know of a way to do it on the car.

Comment

What type of cam are you running, COMP? With those guys you really need a degree wheel to install correctly. I stuck one in a 400 Pontiac about 3 three years ago and never new about the deg. wheel and it never ran worth a ****. also check that AFB (Performance baby, get back Holly), I ran one on a 69 Impala 396 and it really likes to clog the idle cercuit.
                1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
                  What type of cam are you running, COMP? With those guys you really need a degree wheel to install correctly. I stuck one in a 400 Pontiac about 3 three years ago and never new about the deg. wheel and it never ran worth a shit. also check that AFB (Performance baby, get back Holly), I ran one on a 69 Impala 396 and it really likes to clog the idle cercuit.
                  Yes its a comp... lol

I will most likely be taking her to my mechanic's shop b4 the snow blows and having him diagnose her and give me an estimate to fix (I may not have the Ca$h to pay for it right then and there) I can at least entrust in him to do it right and know what hes doing instead of having a couple of buddies come over and help; because my mechanic builds/fixes/races dragster so he may even have a few tips on what to do to the Z to make her scream.

My G Ride:
                  1985 Chevy Camaro
                  383 Stroker
                  My car @ Cardomain

Comment

Working...
                  X