Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strength of the stock bottom end of an LT1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength of the stock bottom end of an LT1?

How much HP/TQ can the stock bottom end of an LT1 take before it blows in a daily driver situtation?
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

2-Bolt or 4 bolt main? Read this article: http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar99928.htm

If I understand it correctly it is basically nearly 450 HP.

Jared
    --- Jared ---

/ 95 Z28 Camaro (Mystic Teal) / LT1 (+.030) / LT4 Hot Cam / 52mm BBK TB / Moroso CAI / 4LE60 + transgo shift kit / 2200-2500 Stall Converter / PCMforless Custom Tune / Edelbrock TES Headers /

Comment

Well Ive seen a STOCK bottem endded 3rd gen wit ha L98 350 running tire jerking 10's, thats pretty much the same bottem as the lt1
      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Originally posted by jbs4radio
        2-Bolt or 4 bolt main? Read this article: http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar99928.htm

If I understand it correctly it is basically nearly 450 HP.

Jared
        They never made a STOCK 4-bolt Main LT1 only 2-bolts. All 4-bolts are aftermarket blocks or LT4
        1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
          They never made a STOCK 4-bolt Main LT1 only 2-bolts. All 4-bolts are aftermarket blocks or LT4
          What about the Corvette engines.... all were straight 4-bolt mains. All "factory replacement" LT1's installed in F-Bodiys were 4-bolt. Unless that's what you meant by "afteramrket".

The bottom end of the LT1 differs in the use of powder metallurgy rods, introduced in the Corvettes on 1994 and a rolling change on the F-Bodys in 94/95. The rods are rated at 450HP, but the only two documented cases I have seen of a PM rod failure were on "power adder" setups, at about the 600HP level. I don't think you would have any problem taking the stock rotating assembly to 500-550HP, as long as you keep the rev's down.

The block itself has been shown to reliably withstand 1,200-1,300HP, at least in the factory straight 4-bolt configuration, or with a splayed 4-bolt conversion.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

sorry I ment factory replacment. Do they even make an aftermarket LT1 block?

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
              sorry I ment factory replacment. Do they even make an aftermarket LT1 block?
              No aftermarkets were ever made. You could buy a factory LT1 block up until they stopped making them in late 1998 or early 1999. All of these replacement blocks were 4-bolt blocks. I tried to find one at the end of 1999, and it was impossible to find a new one. I think Burt Chevrolet in Denver found a stockpile of LT1 "marine" engine short blocks a couple years back, and was selling those, but otherwise there are no longer any "new" blocks available.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                No aftermarkets were ever made. You could buy a factory LT1 block up until they stopped making them in late 1998 or early 1999. All of these replacement blocks were 4-bolt blocks. I tried to find one at the end of 1999, and it was impossible to find a new one. I think Burt Chevrolet in Denver found a stockpile of LT1 "marine" engine short blocks a couple years back, and was selling those, but otherwise there are no longer any "new" blocks available.
                What about the SDPC 4-bolt replacment short block. I always figured that they were 2-bolt blocks with splayed mains but I guess there just remaned blocks from vettes.

Comment

Working...
                X