Jus Got a Flowmaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jus Got a Flowmaster

i have some questions i just got a flowmaster exhaust put on saturday and i got the 3 1/2 inch chrome tips and the guy said that they will rust really easy i was wondering if there was any kind of protective coating i could maybe put on them...my boyfriend said they shouldnt rust if i keep them clean and maintain them well...welp thanks for the replies in advance...

**Red 98 Trans Am--Flowmaster--MTI Clear Lid--Smooth Bellow--B&M Shift Kit**
    **White 98 Dodge Stratus--Daily Driver!**
    **RIP Red Firebird 170k**

You might want to try some high temp exhaust/engine paint on the inside of the tips. Be very careful and mask off the car and the outside of the tips so you don't get overspray on your paint. Really go to work with some newspaper and cover everything, spraypaint will get EVERYWHERE. If they still rust after that you can get some better tips put on for the price of the tips and maybe $20 to weld on. No real biggie but if you do replace them stainless steel tips would last much longer. Good Luck.

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

there are all type of crome polish out there, find one and keep rubbin'
      1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
      2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Where did he say they would rust, or did he? I've got 3.5x18" chrome angle/cut tips on my Jeep, had them for over a year and the ones before that over 2 yrs. and never had any rust. If you are that worried, a good polishing every 3-6 mo. at the most will take care of that.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Some of the cheaper tips will rust from the inside out. Everyone seems to have that type on pickups around here. I've seen lots of tips that have rusted this way. That's why I would recomed to seal the inside but definately keep the outside polished and rust free as well but I'm sure you were going to do that anyway .

96 Z28 A4, K&N CAI, 3.42 gears, Exhaust Cut Out. Best ET 14.02 -R.I.P. 95 Formula-

Comment

the stock tips I got with the american thunder series cat back rusted. Bad
            1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
            2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              Where did he say they would rust, or did he? I've got 3.5x18" chrome angle/cut tips on my Jeep, had them for over a year and the ones before that over 2 yrs. and never had any rust. If you are that worried, a good polishing every 3-6 mo. at the most will take care of that.
              he said they may rust and i have 3 1/2 by 12 angle cut on mine..i was told if i kept them up they would be alright and i wouldnt have to worry

Comment

I would say polish them every few months or so and you should be alright. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it. You can do the insides as well, but I haven't and don't have a problem. Just my opinion anyways.
                Steve

Comment

flows suck, why'd you waste the money? Maybe pulling the tips off and putting high heat engine clear coat over them would help. That's what I'd do.

That whole system is going to eventually rust. Give it time and your muffler will be rusting in places you can't even see. Hope you didn't pay over 300 bucks for that mess.
                  97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fir3bird Chick
                    he said they may rust and i have 3 1/2 by 12 angle cut on mine..i was told if i kept them up they would be alright and i wouldnt have to worry
                    A lot of the polishes seem to protect the metal to some degree, and if you just keep the dirt from building up on them, it won't be able to collect moisture. That exhaust and water that comes out of there is acidic and that is also what eats up exhaust systems, so if they last a few years and you have to replace them - no big deal. You could also go stainless for pretty cheap and then they would outlast the rest of the system and maybe the rest of the car too...

Comment

Biggest problem with crome is the rocks from the road put little stars in it like a windsheild and rust starts there.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                      Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                      6.2L/382.97 ci
                      Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                      WCT-5 speed
                      BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                      Boss MS 18" Rims
                      Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                      Custom Dual exhaust
                      1LE upgrade
                      Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                      In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        flows suck, why'd you waste the money? Maybe pulling the tips off and putting high heat engine clear coat over them would help. That's what I'd do.

That whole system is going to eventually rust. Give it time and your muffler will be rusting in places you can't even see. Hope you didn't pay over 300 bucks for that mess.
                        I paid 210 for it...

Comment

Your comments are inappropriate, unnecessary, and pointless. She can buy 3 of those systems for the cost of a Borla, and those 3 systems can last quite a few years. Or she can upgrade later when she has the bucks and not be out that much money from the one she just bought. I don't think her system sucks, I think your post sucks.

Comment

My friend has a flowmaster on his dakota R/T and has had it for almost 3 years. All he has is some minor surface rust on it and it still sounds GREAT. I'd say he got a fairly good deal out of it.
                            2006 Saturn Ion Redline
                            2003 Mits. Eclipse Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fir3bird Chick
                              I paid 210 for it...
                              210 isn't that bad. I paid $360 for my modified LoudMouth. Flowmaster isn't bad, but they are starting to get a reputation for short-lived mufflers. Keep and ear out for rattling sounds after you've had it for a year or so. Hope it lasts a long time for ya though. Take care.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X