info on 350

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info on 350

I have decided for sure that I am gonna build a carbed SBC for the 300zx i recently got. My question to yall is where is a good reliable source of info on the net for these engines. I'm sure there is tons of info out there and was wondering if anyone could point me to the good stuff. Me and the guys were thinking of doing a 383 stroker and were gonna compare build costs of it to some other SBC setups to see what kind of horseporwer we can make/ dollars we have to spend in order to try and get some idea of a budget before we start working on this.
    98 z-71 silverado white
    93 trans am, green, a4, 96 trans am motor swap in progress

If it were me I would build up a good 350 over a 383 for that particular car. Reason being is that the 383 is quite a bit more expensive. If money is no object by all means do a 383, I love mine. I think if your going to buy a crate motor a really good 350 will be about the same as a 383 and you can buy both right from GM. One thing to remember is 383's are all about torque Thats the reason you build it. If thats not what your looking for go for the 350 as you can make almost the same HP for less money, but a 350 will never be as much of torque monster, and thats where you get all that tire spinin from...

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
    Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
    6.2L/382.97 ci
    Custom PROM Dyno tuned
    WCT-5 speed
    BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
    Boss MS 18" Rims
    Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
    Custom Dual exhaust
    1LE upgrade
    Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
    In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

Buy an LS7
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

I would love to take the ls1 out of my TA and put it in there but i think that would be to expensive because the only way that's happening is if the TA gets a 408 stroker. We decided to go with the SBC setup because we think that will get the most bang for the buck, not to metion the car already has the motor mounts for a SBC. Forgot to mention that there are also conversion manuals for just this project, so i thought I'd try and find some engine specific info before we build an engine and put it in. Hooker even makes custom longtube headers for SBC's in Nissan/Datsun vehicles.
        98 z-71 silverado white

Comment

Why not go with a High HP 327? High revs same HP as a 350.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade

Comment

That's prolly a good idea, do u know where I could find a website where i can compare these differnt setups. This will be the first engine I have assembled myself, and yes I do have help so I should be ok to do the job. But the 327 can rev higher than the 350 huh so that would prolly be better in this car then, sounds like an idea.
            98 z-71 silverado white

Comment

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/74620/
              http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sbsum.html
              http://www.sporttruck.com/howto/40619/

these sites all have pros for the different type of engine. Just remember a 283-305-327-350-383 can all swap parts. Best thing to do would be to get Engine analyzer Pro 3.3 from http://www.performancetrends.com/
              and test all the different engine types. Become a pro at this program. If you want I can give you help on it. It is very acurate and can help you decide what will work best for you. If you dont have the time or patents then do alot of reading. I can probably find you any engine you want as I have some friends. A good place to look for a 327 to rebuild is in 72 and older 1 ton farm trucks. I have one rated at 327 HP I used it in my 84 TA it was way to much for that car twisted it to nothing. I think they were under rated too. With a retro fir roller cam system they just rock.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
              6.2L/382.97 ci
              Custom PROM Dyno tuned
              WCT-5 speed
              BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
              Boss MS 18" Rims
              Custom Dual exhaust
              1LE upgrade

Comment

Thanx very much for the info and taking the time to respond DeWynter, that's just what i was lookin for. I gotta talk to some friends myself but I may just take u up on the 327 offer. A friend of mine is getting a new tranny for his nova, so we get the TH350 out of that. All there is to do now is get the engine and rear end ready and we should have this thing on the street in a couple of months.
                98 z-71 silverado white

Comment

Working...
                X