Cat-backs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat-backs

What up fellas and chickies! I'm new here, but it looks like you guys might know a thing or about f-bods. Anyway after almost 4 yrs. with my '01 WS6(I've had it since they day it rolled of the truck) I've decided that the purchase of a cat-back needs to move up the priority list. I've been leaning towards a Corsa system but I've also been the looking at the one from B&B. I'm sure the Borla is nice, but I don't like the look of the intercooled tips. I'm looking for a good quality stainless system that goes on relatively easy (no hacking or beating of the undercarriage), has nice subdued grumble at idle and cruising speed but screams at WOT. I don't need any more attention from local law enforcement... I'm enjoying not being on court supervision this year! I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has installed a system on their bird or a friend's. Also most of the mfgs. claim a 14-17 hp gain and I know a new system will look and sound better, but will I feel it in the seat of my pants.

I bought the Hooker cat back and have loved it. Very easy install, and great looking 3 inch quad exhaust not to mention an awsome sound and good price. Check it out

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
    Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kart22
      ....has nice subdued grumble at idle and cruising speed but screams at WOT.....

Yep. You want Corsa.

You are going to have to saw through the stock intermediate pipe with any cat-back you get.
      Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Also... you won't really feel much of an increase in power...
        Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Comment

You have to cut the pipe over the axle, no getting around it.

Go with magnaflow. Awesome sound, ss, and great price. I love mine.

www.magnaflow.com has a video of an ls1 ss drive by and launch.
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

I should also mention that a supercharger is farther down the the wish list.

Comment

exhaust isn't as important to a supercharger as a turbo is, as the supercharger is belt driven.
              97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                exhaust isn't as important to a supercharger as a turbo is, as the supercharger is belt driven.
                Actually exhaust is important when it comes to supercharging. If your getting air in you have to get air out too right?

Sorry officer, im not speeding... Im qualifying
                Daily Driver:1990 ford probe 5 speed with like 13 horsepower at the crank.

Comment

That's with any setup... What I was saying is maybe he is thinking that superchargers are like turbos, in that you need to go with a specific exhaust, which isn't the case. I know people running 11 second s/c mustangs with the same exhaust setup a n/a guy would run.

Comment

I think that you would be getting more power per doller if you went with some Jet-hot or hooker headers. The companys claim 40 Ft/lbs and 30 HP
                    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
                      I think that you would be getting more power per doller if you went with some Jet-hot or hooker headers. The companys claim 40 Ft/lbs and 30 HP
                      Yeah, the company's claim is over-ambitious. You'll see about 25 rwhp with just about any header. But headers are more expensive and difficult to install than a cat-back is.

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
                        That's with any setup... What I was saying is maybe he is thinking that superchargers are like turbos, in that you need to go with a specific exhaust, which isn't the case. I know people running 11 second s/c mustangs with the same exhaust setup a n/a guy would run.
                        Actually, a cat-back is a cat-back. Unless you go with the STS turbo (which is rear mounted), I don't think there is any difference in setup between turbo vs. supercharger.

Comment

Working...
                        X