T56 tranny

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T56 tranny

I bought a t56 off my teacher and he isn't sure of the the car it came out of. i got the numbers off the side of the tranny but can't find anywhere to decode them. i woult like to know what year car it came out of and the tranny ratios. also what do i need to bolt this up to a SBC as far as the clutch goes? pressure plate, throwout bearing/slave clyinder, flywheel, disc?
    thanks for your help in advance,
    Tom

Well whats the Number? I'm not Hudini.
    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Well i have a few but i think the one needed is 13 86 017, i know that the 13 86 means it a six speed borg warner but i think the 017 is the magic number.

Comment

i guess the other numbers are the serial other identifacation numbers

Comment

I have a link with the answer but it's at work. I'm looking for it now.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Found it. http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6_speed.html
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Originally posted by foxracer1
              Well i have a few but i think the one needed is 13 86 017, i know that the 13 86 means it a six speed borg warner but i think the 017 is the magic number.
              That "017" is the 1998+ LS1 T56. I'm not sure if that will work with a SBC. I think you need an 1993-1997 LT1 T56 for that to work??
              Tracy
              2002 C5 M6 Convertible
              1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
              Current Mods:
              SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

can one not just change out the bellhousing for the proper one?
                In my opinion one would need:
                Bellhousing for Gen I/II Block
                Possibly a different Input shaft due to spline numbers(could be also fixed with a different clutchplate if you dont mind mix and matching parts must document for next owner!!!)
                Clutch
                Flywheel
                Throwout bearing
                Master and slave cylinder
                Tansmision crossmember(?)

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
                Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
                6.2L/382.97 ci
                Custom PROM Dyno tuned
                WCT-5 speed
                BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
                Boss MS 18" Rims
                Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
                Custom Dual exhaust
                1LE upgrade
                Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror
                In a constant state of upgrade!

Comment

I don't believe you can just bolt up the T56 to a Gen 1 SBC. I know that Steve Spohn of Spohn Performance helped design and manufacture a kit to install the LT1 T56 in a 3rd Gen. It wasn't made up of standard Chevy parts. He borrowed one of my spare trannies, and his own 3rd Gen to develop the kit.

The LS1 is about as far from an SBC as you can get. McLeod makes a "universal" SFI rated blowup-proof modular bellhousing that allows you to connect the LS1 T56, the Viper T56, and the Mustang T56 to virutally any engine, but again, its not a straight forward conversion. Even McLeod does not make a bellhousing to connect the LT1 version of the T56 to other engines. They apparently want to stay away from the "pull back" clutch problems.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I believe you can bolt a T56 to an SBC. Check out this link.
                    http://pub186.ezboard.com/fprotourin...picID=42.topic
                    and
                    http://www.skulte.com/T56.html

Comment

Working...
                    X