Anyone with High mileage 4th gen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with High mileage 4th gen?

Now that my TA is pushing 130k (stock with original tranny as far as I know) I was wondering how many of us on the board are pushing over 130k, what where the major repairs, anything I should expect as more miles accumulate?
    1993 TA SOLD

-------------------------------------------
    "Unless It's Fatal, It's No Big Deal"

me me me!!!

I got 131143 on the clock right now...and to tell you the truth, she runs better now than the day I bought her...

I drive a lot for work and well, 90% are highway miles...

Besides regular/preventive maintence she's perfect, people can't belive she has that many miles....I don't drive very hard, so she's keep together quite well...

nothing has gone out except for a coil and everthing else is clock work...no lost in power...tranny still firm (for a 4L60E that is) and with replacment springs and shocks, she rides tight...way better than new. I had to replace a rear axle shaft..but that was my fault.

Interior is perfect...other than regular wear on the seats...but still smells new...exterior is better than new...plenty of Zaino...

if you take care of her, she'll be fine...

tranny flush sometime next month...

I'm a maintence freak so work on her a lot...30K coolant flush, 6K rotation and balance, 3K oil changes (okay okay, some times 4K)...and plenty of washes and zaino in between...did 3 plugs and wire changes, 3 fuel filter changes...you know the usual...i think the water pump is good still too.

I'm for my altenator is go..but it's still holding up strong (keeping my eye on the guage)...other than that...she's perfect

my old 3.1, the only thing to go out was the was major was the water pump @ 267K...I drove that car into the ground...and still go $800 for it...LoL. That was on hellva car...oh, it still ran...after driving 47 miles with no coolant and the needle stuck on red. I know LS1s are built better...not to mention LT1s...so if you keep her up to date with maintance, you'll be okay!

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Mine has 107k now. Repairs have been:
      60k: opti
      70k: coil
      74k: rebuilt rear end/rear calipers, etc. due to accident
      75k: water pump
      82k: tranny and torque converter (mostly due to me being stupid enough to hand the keys over to a moron who did a 3 minute brake stand + donuts )
      88k: a hole developed in a freeze plug in the block, causing a small coolant leak
      104k: opti again
      106k: alternator started to show signs of weakness; replaced even though it still charged decently
      107k: fixed the intake leak which was plaguing the motor for as long as I could remember
      107k: lifter went out, so I upgraded the whole valvetrain
      107.5k: opti again? possibly
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

LimTeng99TransAm - sounds like you have a freak hehe, I guess the LS1 is different breed.

Craig 94 TA GT - i know your story, seems like opti is a culprit, I've been ok or now , I dont know if the previous owner did any work. Ive noticed that the radiator was replaced, it has a 2001 manufacture sticker on it. My starter went 2 weeks ago. Since i got it I replaced the rear shocks, lower arms, bushings on both sway bars, tires, tie rodds , rear lube, tranny flush.

I am experiencing heater problem, increased temperature from the vents only when the temp goes beyond 220, never finger burning. need to work on that.
        1993 TA SOLD

Comment

gesh craig havent u learned to never list the problems the car has had lol
          its like buying a mod spend the money and forget just remember what a good deal u got on it when u bought it not the 40k ull eventually dump into it

Comment

I've only got 116,637 mi. on mine, but she's been a good girl . According to the previous owner, he had the water pump go out once and blew the driver's side head gasket, plus the stupid ABS problem. I looked through the receipts he gave me with the car and she looked to be fairly well taken care of. Minor problems here and there (power window motor, AC doesn't work for some stupid reason), but the motor has been excellent for the most part. Heck, she's still got the ORIGINAL opti...yes, ORIGINAL, not OEM replacement. I find it hard to believe too, but he says he's never had it replaced or give him a problem. All he did was put a chip and 160 thermo in. I've done a CAI, intake elbow, TB flow booster, cat-back, SFCs, LCAs, panhard rod, 1LE driveshaft and have her riding on some g-Force TA KDW's. Also upped the bump from the stereo, but nothing radical like making a quarter jump on the top of the car (MIKE!!!!! lol ). The only real problem I had with her was having the alternator go out, drain the battery after that then having to deal with these crappy reman. units. I slapped a Powermaster unit on it afterwards and she's been fine since. Had the clutch done also, but that was after 106k. I think you've got plenty of life left in her, being a fellow 93 owner. Keep and eye on the Opti and the water pump and you should be good IMHO. Now if only I could get her to slap around Craig's TA and get her to run right also we'll be golden lol.
            Steve
            79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
            87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
            93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
            http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Steve93Z
              Also upped the bump from the stereo, but nothing radical like making a quarter jump on the top of the car (MIKE!!!!! lol ).
              dude since i have been having a horrible month i turned the stere back up lol..now i can jump cynder blocks

Comment

I only had my 95 F-body for about 20,000 miles (115,XXX to 135,XXX) but in that time:

1) I replaced the alternator
                2)Replaced the battery
                3) 3 4l60E rebuilds
                4) Flex plate shattered had to replace
                5) Water Pump blew
                6) Rear Main Seal Blew
                7) O2 sensor went
                8) TPS Sensor went
                9) Ignition Modual and Coil went
                10) And Final Due to the Rear Main Leak I Spun the #6 Rod Bearing and yanked the motor.
                11) after rebuiling the motor it the fuel pump went
                12) then the last straw, The 4l60E went again.

Number 12 is why I sold it. I was getting so gosh darn sick of swapping out transmissions. It seemed like I could keep one in it for more than 4 months some time. You know, I think my TA spent more time a foot in the air on jack stand than I did accually running.
                1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Ive got 80K and repairs are as follows:

55k - 2nd 4L60E trans went
                  57K- 1st clutch (T56)
                  57,500 - 2nd clutch
                  65k - 3rd clutch
                  70k- head job (gasket blew)
                  75k- 3rd rear differential (12 bolt this time)
                  77k-2nd motor
                  80K - needs another clutch.....

This only the major stuff. So far, its been pretty reliable
                  96 WS6 Formula: Ram Air, 383 Stroker, Ported LT4 Heads and Manifold, 1.6 Crane Rollers, 58MM T.B., AS&M Headers, Borla Exhaust, Meziere Elec. H2O Pump, Canton Deep Sump Oil Pan, 100 HP OF TNT N2O!! , T56 Conversion w/ Pro 5.0 shifter, SPEC Stage 3 Clutch, Hotchkiss Subframe Conn., Lakewood Adj. Panhard Bar, Spohn Adj. LCA's, BMR Adj. T.A., Custom 12 bolt w/ 3:73's, Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, Moser Girdle
                  11.6 @ 123mph (1.6 60' - getting there )

Comment

Damn, not so reliable , I assume you guys have been to a track few times, if not how do you guys drive you car s?
                    1993 TA SOLD

Comment

159,000 on my v6 camaro...got it with 156,000. Not sure it needs some work but still drives me around. I know they did the clutch waterpump master/slave cylinder not sure whatelse
                      -Rico

Click here to visit my CarDomain page!

01 Camaro Convertable, A4, White, Audiobahn 12" subs and amp 800W/RMS,Xenon
                      98 TA/WS6, M6, All options,stock with minor mods, stealth JL Audio-Sold
                      98 Camaro, V6, A4, Silver, Xenon Body kit, white guages, MTX system, custom interior SOLD
                      94 Camaro, 3.4L, M5, Quasar Blue, SOLD

Comment

My fathers 1969 Impala is still running on the origanl 350, never rebuilt. He has wraped the odometer around twice. The last time I check it was at 206,XXX miles but that was almost 2 months ago.
                        1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                        2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

I've only got 57k on it, but I have only done the Waterpump and plugs and wires along with a new cap and rotor. Those things were done at around 40k miles. Mine goes into hibernation from Nov to April every year.
                          2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                          1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                          2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                          2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                          2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

For our church we did an outreach of changing oil for single women for free. (mainly elderly women) One lady came in with an 85 caprice with 295.xxx miles on it and said only the starter had been replaced. Another was a middle aged woman with a 94 camaro v6 5spd. It had 235xxx on it and she said nothings ever been changed and origional plugs .
                            1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

My 93 T/A has over 135K and nothing's wrong with it, knock on wood, she runs perfect. All that i've changed is a belt thats it. She's running Like she's a Day Old!!!!!
                              Kosta The Greek
                              1993 Pontiac Trans Am

Comment

Working...
                              X