Man, those viper boys are narrow minded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, those viper boys are narrow minded

I was pokin around the Viper club forum checkin out some of there rides and reading some threads. I never realized how ignorant these guys are. I've always heard the Viper owners seem to have a chip off their shoulders, just never really noticed. Point in case; I was reading some threads and someone was asking who designed the new corvette (tom peters) and one after the other starting bashing the C6, C5, and the C4. No respect for a solid muscle car. I can just imagine starting a thread about an f-body there. I'm sure their not all like that, but a lot of the threads I read are pretty bull headed. Makes me love this forum more than ever. I will without a doubt be a member for life in this open minded atmosphere.

go bush

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
    Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

I seem to find that as the price of the car increases, the real car knowledge the guys have decreases.

Snoop around a tech forum on an f-body site. Then snoop around tech forums on a Corvette site.

Take a look at ls1tech (the single greatest ls1 technical knowledge forum ever)... 99% are f-body owners.
    Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

They feel superior man. That's the one reason i'm glad my dad wrecked his Diaper. They're quick and they handle great, don't believe anything about them handling poorly as i've been proven wrong about that. At the same time, Viper owners see the attention they get and it inflates their heads a bit. My dad thought that he could go out getting really nice looking young girls in that car. He's 48. Never happen. Vipers are completely overrated. They have 488 cubic inch V-10's, of course they're going to be fast. I don't see why it comes as such a surprise to people that they're fast. Not to mention they cost around $82,000. My dad always told me about how he destroyed ZO6's. After my dad totalled his Viper (96 GTS), he was thinking about what to get next. I suggested a Vette and his response was- "No, they were my rivals when i had Butch (what he named his car)". It's like a lot of F-body owners with Mustangs. We don't like them and a lot of the time, we don't even know why we don't like them. Arrogance my friend. Ignore them. I got my car for $8,500 and i can run low 14's in my car. Probably high 13's with some weight reduction. My dad paid $60,000 for his car that runs low 12's. You can't even do much weight reduction on them. Every modification for Vipers costs and arm and a leg where they're realatively cheap for an F-body. $4,000 for a turbo charger, some nice gears and a good exhaust set up should (from what i've heard) have you running with Vipers. All the performance for a fraction of the cost and all without the unwanted attention.
      Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
      SOLD- Kinda miss it
      94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
      SOLD- Good riddance!
      2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

Totally agree with the both of you. I love the Viper, I just don't love the drivers, but most likely f-bod for life. Lookin for the 07'.

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
        Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

I think this goes down the line though. Mustang guys are saying this about f-bodies. I've heard 3rd gen guys say it about 4th gen guys. I don't think that it matters with any car some guys are just A$$es. I do agree though that the more expensive the car the more you find.
          1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Oh yeah, i forgot. Hope you can and enjoy driving stick because they only make Vipers in 6 speeds. I'd never want another auto car since i learned to drive manual but many people don't like shifting and some people just find auto's to be faster. A Vette or F-body, there's are auto's a plenty. Sure you can swap an auto tranny into a Viper but that's pretty expensive as the Viper needs a strong transmission. The greatest example i can produce to back what Jay 02 TA ws6 said is that my when my dad first bought the Viper, he raced this kid that worked with his mechanic. This kid had a 95 Z28 that was stock aside from a Borla cat-back and he beat my dad.

Reason- my dad thought that it was bad to take the car over 3,500 RPM's and the kid in the Z28 was redlining it. A Viper lost to a stock Lt1.... I have to admit- as much as i disliked the Viper, we smoked many a Porsche 911 Cerrara but probably for the same reason my dad lost his first real race. People with expensive cars usually don't know how or are too afraid to race their cars the right way.

(P.S.- My dad soon learned to take it up to the 5,000- 5,500 RPM range. We taught him well and he never lost a race again. All's well that end's well )
            Red 95 Trans Am: M6, Moroso CAI, Magnaflow, Spohn sway bars, back to life as of 2/15/10!!!
            SOLD- Kinda miss it
            94 Del Sol VTEC: 27 city/ 33 highway, knee deep in slowness
            SOLD- Good riddance!
            2006 Ford Fusion: 2.3, 5 speed, could run 15lbs of boost with a 150 shot and it'd still be slow

Comment

I think that when you drop $80 grand on a Viper or Porsche, you need to be in a mental state of mind that it's faster & better than a $50 grand Vette, and certainly faster & way better than a $25 grand F-Body. But the thing is that the guys that can afford those cars (new) are often successful business owners or executives who spent a lot of time at work and figuring out how to make money, as opposed to a gearhead who makes medium or low income, but has a real interest in the car and wants to know about mechanics & racing, and maybe does his own wrenching, welding & wiring. And a lot of guys that have a pile of cash just want to write a check and instantly be in 'the club', so to speak. As for young girls - if they're materialistic, they will be making goo-goo eyes at your car & maybe want to be seen in it, but that don't necessarily mean that you're going to get lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin - Blown 95 TA
                but that don't necessarily mean that you're going to get lucky!
                how true , but my wife, The Warden, has something to do with that
                DWS
                Silver M6 '95 Formula-sold to MCKNBRD

Zaino all the way!!

'03 Z06....Donaldson Blackwing, CAGS, '04 Z06 shocks, ceramic pads

Comment

hey some one once told me that Vipers had a rather wild Firing order. He told me that the V-10 in the vipers accually firs two cylinders at once. I dont see how thats possible or how it makes more power.
                  1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                  2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

How funny. This type of thread is happening on 3 of the boards I post on. Yes, some of them are real idiots. They are more about being seen in the car and not about the car itself. I found this out first hand while I had my Viper. I don't hang around any of them any more. Some of them are ego maniacs. I raced a guy in his 03 SRT with my bone stock Z06 and beat him. He was so upset, he found his way to a local board, that I moderated, and started flaming me. He just couldn't handle that I out drove him.

Oh well, to each their own. I'll tell you first hand. My Z06 was 5 times the car that my Viper was.
                    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Back to the question PN, how does the new vette compare to the Z06 now that you've got some miles on it...
                      2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
                      1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
                      2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
                      2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
                      2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary94Formula
                        Back to the question PN, how does the new vette compare to the Z06 now that you've got some miles on it...
                        After logging about 1500 on the clock, I'll tell you this, I can't get the off of my face. I absolutely love this car. Everything about it is refined over my Z. Don't get me wrong, I think the Z was/is an awesome car, I just hoped the C6 would be refined and they didn't let me down. The car is quieter, smoother, more rigid. The creature comforts have stepped up a few notches. Every little detail was well thought out, even down to the radio that fades the volume out and back in as you change channels. The windows roll down a little when you open the door and roll back up when you close them to relieve the air pressure inside the car. The HUD has 3 setting now. Track one, track two and street.

Now, if you ask which car was faster. I'd tell you the Z. I had a cold air and bellows on it and it seems to scream at WOT. The C6 has much more grunt down low but not as much on the top end. This may change when I find a cold air intake and get more miles on the motor and it loosens up.

If you want to know any details, just ask. I'm always glad to share.
                        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                          I'm always glad to share.
                          How about sharing the keys?
                          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Performin Norman
                            Now, if you ask which car was faster. I'd tell you the Z. I had a cold air and bellows on it and it seems to scream at WOT. The C6 has much more grunt down low but not as much on the top end. This may change when I find a cold air intake and get more miles on the motor and it loosens up.

If you want to know any details, just ask. I'm always glad to share.
                            The general thought is that the stock LS2 tune really pulls some timing up top... but no one knows yet because no one has been able to tune the stock PCM yet. Also, the cam is the '01 LS6 cam... so the 02-04 C5 Z06 should be a little more top-end oriented.
                            Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Hey Norm, my firebird sounds like a tank compared to your new Vette! I'm glad you enjoy it and hope you know I wouldn't include you in the elitist group mentioned above!

Comment

Working...
                              X