car starting problems.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car starting problems.

My '94 LT-1 Camaro with 45,000 miles has problems starting if i have not ran it for a day or longer. It will start up, but its a rough startup. I have an intake, headers, and high flow cat. It is an automatic tranny. I installed a new battery but that wasnt the problem. Maybe a new starter is needed. i am open to any suggestions.
    1994 Z-28 Camaro, 350LT1 A4, K&N Cold Air Intake, Edelbrock Long Tube Headers, Pro Flow Catalytic Convertor, BMR control arms & panhard rod, Eibach lowering springs, subframe connectors, Hotchkis strut tower brace.

You'll need to be a little more specific..... Does it turn over fine, but not fire? Does it crank slowly?

Comment

problems

IT attempts to turn over but lags. It starts but weakly, then it revs up to like 1500rpm, then after a few seconds of that it lowers down to 1000rpm, and acts just fine. I hope thats enogh info.
      1994 Z-28 Camaro, 350LT1 A4, K&N Cold Air Intake, Edelbrock Long Tube Headers, Pro Flow Catalytic Convertor, BMR control arms & panhard rod, Eibach lowering springs, subframe connectors, Hotchkis strut tower brace.

Comment

One possible problem might be a form of hydrolock. Liquid cannot be compressed the way air can. If you have a leaking injector(s), or regulator, it can cause a hard start condition. Once you shut down, the injector can slowly drip fuel. The regulator can have a ruptured diaphram that sends fuel through the vacuum line and into the engine. Once you engage the starter, the fuel has nowhere to go. Until it finally clears out then normal combustion begins. Water from a leaking intake or head gasket along with oil can cause the same symptoms. Since you mentioned that it only does this when the car sits for more than a day, try this for kicks- disable the fuel pump by pulling the fuse while the engine is still running. It won't take long for the fuel downstream of the pump to be used up. Once the engine stalls, turn everything off and reinstall the fuse. As long as you don't turn on the ignition, the fuel pump won't energize and pressurize the fuel system. Let the car sit for as long as normal for the hard start to normally rear itself. Turn the key to the run position, but don't start until the fuel pump kicks on and pressurizes the system. If the car starts right up, you've most likely found the culprit. That is just a simple way to isolate the fuel system without using any diagnostic tools or even a fuel pressure gauge.

Depending on how handy you are, there are several other checks you can perform. If the car is driven daily, do you still get a hard start condition? When you get the rough start, is there any black smoke from the tailpipe?

Comment

Working...
        X