Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pellet key ---resister key---vats key

ok,
    i replaced the ignition and got new pellet key about 6 months ago. the car started doing the same thing again last night. when the key is open it will flash the security light. car won't start. can a pellet key go bad this quickly? can they check to see if the pellet key is bad?? how?? its on my 95 lumina daily driver..
    eddie
    1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

I had that problem with a generic key- is your key generic or from the dealer?

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

got it from a local locksmith....on the black plastic key cover it says "for GM cars" ?????????????
      eddie
      1995 Z28 A4, SCC Ultra Z Hood with Air box/K&N filter, Granatelli Maf Sensor/Fernco bellow/Hotchkis STB/white face gauges/LT4 Knock module/March pullies/160* stat without Hypertech Tunning/Borla 3" y-pipe/HI Flo 3" cat/SLP Loudmouth/GM Motive 3.73's + TA rear end girdle/Afs ZR1's silver painted with polished lip 17x9.5 front & 17x11 out back/98 tail light's/BMR SFC's/spohn Lca's/spohn relo brackets & spohn adj. panhard rod " coated mid lenght pacesetters headers + 1.6rr + custom pc tuning going on soon hopefully "

Comment

Originally posted by LoudLT1
        got it from a local locksmith....on the black plastic key cover it says "for GM cars" ?????????????
        eddie
        That could be the problem, you may want to get a true GM key from the dealer-if that fixes the problem, then you can take the other one back to the lock smith.
        BTW, I've got a 95 Lumina that I used to drive as a daily driver too (but don't anymore). I loved that car and it was very dependable and purred like a kitten, even at around 160,000 miles, until the cooling system clogged up and overheated, and warped the heads. If you haven't had a good radiator flushing in a while, and you have a lot of miles on it, don't do like I did and neglect the cooling system. It costs less than $100.00 dollars to have it professionally flushed and coolant replaced, and that is a lot cheaper than rebuilding the top end of your engine-BTW again-Its for sale! Great condition except engine heads

Comment

ONLNTM5,
          What did you pay from the dealer for the key???
          what you pay for the ignition..?
          did dealer cut the key???
          did you replace the ignition and the key with a gm product???
          thanks,
          eddie

Comment

I just had a key made at the Chev. dealer, and it cost about $27.00 to $28.00 + tax. I have also had a couple of those generic keys made at Ace Hardware, and had the same problem that you are describing.

Comment

Your local GM dealer will have a box that can test both the key and the ignition if you have the car there.

-Paul

WickedLT1's Home on the Web - Wicked Pictures
              95 - Trans Am - LT1 - 6Speed
              Car Status: Hmm, winter projects coming up...

Comment

For a buck you can get a resistor from Radio Shack that is the same as the puck on your key, then wire it in to the two small white wires at the base of your steering column, eliminating the contacts in your ignition switch. I did mine about 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since. If you need more direction check out Shoebox's repair site.
                The Old Guy! '94 z-28, m-6, t-tops, go-fast red, 316k. Now with '96 engine w/ Lt-4 hot cam, roller rockers, heavy duty timing chain, and Spec stage 2 clutch.

Comment

Our you can just bypass the VATS module. Also the VATs Module will relearn a Key Signal (If you go from a #4 pellet to a #11 pellet) only once. If you try to relearn it a 3rd time the Vats Module will disable the car, you will know its the Vats because there will be no Fuel Pump HUm. Maybe thats whats happened.

Also the GM dealer can tell you the VATS code that cam stock with your car by the VIN number.
                  1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
                  2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

Working...
                  X