Exhaust questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust questions

Hello fellow F-body drivers, i am new to this website and i have a few questions for you. I recently purchased my first F-body during the summer and have enjoyed it with the sun up and t-tops off and now that winter is coming and she is going into storage i would like to start in with the modifications. I have a 98 TA automatic(non-ram air) with 60,000 miles and the first things i plan on doing is exhaust and intake and i would like some advice from the grand expericence of this website. I plan on installing a set of long tube hooker headers with an slp loud mouth exhaust system. My first question is has anyone had problems with either of these products. My second is, is there another system that you would recommend that is better then this one. The second for intake is the KN air intake system, will this work well on my car even though i don't have the ram air hood, and if not would system would you recommend. Also i was thinking of going with a set of 3.73's for my rearend what kind of installation costs should i expect for this task and if there is anyone located in the south west michigan area a shop that you would recommend i take my TA to, to get all of this work done.

Thankyou very much for your advice
    1998 TA
    1970 GTO Judge
    1975 TA 6.6
    1970 Mach 1

I don't personally own a 4th gen, but I think I can answer a couple of your questions. The Loudmouth is a great choice, I don't know of anyone who has had problems with them from my experience. And about gears, it's recommended to go with 3.73 for an auto. and 4.11 for a manual, so you're on the right track with the 3.73s. Sorry I'm not of much help, but the other guys will!
    1991 Chevy Camaro RS (Is it plum or purple?)
    Engine: 305 TBI (L03)
    Trans: TH700R4
    Mods: Some

CarDomain Site

Comment

Hooker long tubes are great. The problem is the aftermartket Y pipes don't fit too well. you'll probably need a custom fabbed Y pipe in order to get acceptable clearance. Next, if you delete the cats, that loudmouth (which was intended for the LS-1) is going to be REALLY loud. Some have taken it off after dealing with the interior resonance.

Comment

Trust me, the Loudmouth with no CATS is nothing compared to the Texas Motorsports True Duals with no CATS. Those Duals were sick. I will have Dumps forever now.
        1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
        2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

Comment

First and foremost... If you're in K-Zoo, you are close enough to make the drive to Speed, Inc in Chicago. Well worth the trip. When I lived in Holland, that is where I went... and even though I am over in Detroit now, I will probably still go back there.

First, about the headers... I hope you understand how loud your car is going to get. I wasn't ready for it, but luckily it really grew on me, and now I love it . Make no mistake, it will be deafening at WOT. The only problem with the LT headers + Loudmouth combo if is wicked RASP if you delete the cats. A lot of people don't like the rasp that combo produces.

Ram Air does practically nothing, it's a gimmick. A K&N setup will be fine. I do hope you understand though, that you are looking at spending well over a grand... probably more in the range of 2 on the whole setup installed (when you include the 3.73s).

Also, a good torque converter is a great way to wake up an auto.
          Former Ride: 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - 345 rwhp, 360 rwtq... stock internally.

Current Ride: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Limited - spec.B #312 of 500

Comment

Working...
          X