Rear end noise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end noise?

I'm getting a noise from the rear of my car under hard accelaration. Its a thunking noise and causes a slight vibration when accelarating hard from a stop especially if you turn a little bit. I'm thinking a u-joint and praying not the 10 bolt. I've got 110k and origional rear and u-joints what do you guys think? Does the rear make noises if its going out?
    1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Are you sure it's coming from the rear? It may be a torn tranny mount; very common problem with rubber mounts. Especially if you drive aggressive… A torn mount will give you that “clunking” or banging sound under the car.

I have a T-56 in my 95 Bird; I replaced my mount with a stock rubber unit “NAPA Brand,” and ripped it in half that same night “resulted from a lot of 2nd gear drops.” If it is your tranny mount, go with Energy Suspension’s poly-urethane mount; less than $20.00.
    John Wagner "Owner"
    D.E. Engine Performance & Fabrication
    1995 Formula

Comment

How do I check for that.
      1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Put a floor jack under the tailshaft housing on the transmission and GENTLY try to lift the rear of the trans. If it rises off the crossmember, your trans mount is broke. If you have to replace it, that is an easy task. the factory stock unit is hollow rubber and breaks easily. It is that soft in order to dampen driveline vibrations and keep them from being transmitted to the chassis. If you do a polyurethane, expect a considerable amount of increased driveline vibration. IMHO, I recommend a solid rubber 1LE mount. Stiffer than stock, less harsh than a poly. I've had one for 60K miles and no problems and very little additional vibration.

Comment

Thats what it sounds like to me, i just had to replace one. prety cheap n doesnt realy take too long.
          -Nick-
          95 A4 Z28

Comment

I really hope its that and not the rear-end. I'll check it this weekend when I'm home and putting in an opti. What would be the signs of a bad rearend? Would it clunk like that at all or do they just go without warning.

Comment

Working...
            X