A littel intake question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A littel intake question?

Hey can I through a TPI Intake Base On a LT1 if I block the distributor hole. I dont think the thermostat in the intake will matter, I just plan on puting a plate over the opening. I just got a Accel Super Ram Plentum and runners and wanted to used a LT1 Block I still have sitting around.
    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Totally Stock

anyone?
    1967 VW Bug 2.3L Ford SVO Inline 4 w/ Turbo, Sand-Drag VW Trans Axle, Race this Import.

Comment

The bolt pattern on the Gen 1 SBC intakes does not match the bolt pattern on the Gen 2 LT1 heads. The intake would need be welded up and redrilled, and the coolant passages blocked. Then there's the issue of the port profile.

I understand the Super Ram for the LT1 has been brought back to production. Do a search on the "LT1 Engine Tech" on CamaroZ28.com for a thread with information.

How much it will give you is open to question. The Super Ram was a good setup for the lower RPM engines, and seemed to help automatics, but it was not a good match for high RPM use. I can give you the name of someone who built one up to fit on his LT1 - then sold it. The clearance between the throttle body and the hood is a problem.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
        The bolt pattern on the Gen 1 SBC intakes does not match the bolt pattern on the Gen 2 LT1 heads. The intake would need be welded up and redrilled, and the coolant passages blocked. Then there's the issue of the port profile.

I understand the Super Ram for the LT1 has been brought back to production. Do a search on the "LT1 Engine Tech" on CamaroZ28.com for a thread with information.

How much it will give you is open to question. The Super Ram was a good setup for the lower RPM engines, and seemed to help automatics, but it was not a good match for high RPM use. I can give you the name of someone who built one up to fit on his LT1 - then sold it. The clearance between the throttle body and the hood is a problem.
        It wouldnt go in a 4th gen, not this time.

Also if the intake bolts and ports do not match than how do people put LT1 intakes on GEN 1 SBC by drilling a distributor and using a remote thermostate.

Comment

If they installed the intake on a Gen 1 SBC along with the LT1 heads, the intake would bolt to the heads, then they'd have to convert the water passages in the heads to match the Gen 1 block. If for some reason they decided to use an LT1 intake with Gen 1 heads, they would have to weld and drill the new holes, and add the water connections.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36474

Check out that link. Thats a LT1 Intake on a GEN 1. The Blots on it are the same as the bolts on my LT1 and every other SBC. There not vertical like a vortech head but at the perpendicular of the heads surface angle. And I know LT1 heads have alinged valve springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Squat13
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36474

Check out that link. Thats a LT1 Intake on a GEN 1. The Blots on it are the same as the bolts on my LT1 and every other SBC. There not vertical like a vortech head but at the perpendicular of the heads surface angle. And I know LT1 heads have alinged valve springs.
              Third try at explaining this... I'll take it real slow.

Go look at the picture that shows the complete side view of the intake in the eBay listing. Look at the locations of the bolt holes, in particular the ones in the center. In the picture on eBay, one bolt hole is centered under the PCV valve hole, the other is centered under the hole used on the 93/94 cars for the PCV vacuum connection.

Now go out and look at the bolt hole locations on your "stock" LT1 intake, that you claim to be identical. They are not. The first hole that I mentioned above is moved about 1" to the left (closer to #3 port) of the PCV valve opening centerline, and the second hole I mentioned above is moved about 1" to the right (closer to the #5 port).

If you read the eBay listing VERY CAREFULLY, it indicates they are selling an "LT1 Intake converted for standard SBC heads/painted". Before they put the nice coat of red paint on the intake, they welded up the old "LT1" bolt holes, and drilled new "Gen 1 SBC" bolt holes. Note that they also drilled and tapped the LT1 intake for the nipples for the coolant crossover.

That is what needs to be done to put an LT1 intake on a Gen 1 SBC. Notice that even with the new bolt holes in the right locations, the angle of the bolts is not going to allow the bolt heads to sit square on the intake manifold bosses.

If you don't believe me.... and you seem to want to argue with just about every post I make..... look at this article:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...0803phr_beast/

I'm not sure that I'm even going to try and answer your questions. When anyone tries to help you, you tell them they are wrong and start arguing with them. If you think you already know the answers to the questions, why do you ask them in the first place. I'm not going to waste my time playing games like that.
              Fred

Comment

So your telling me that all thats stoping me from using this setup is wiping out my drill and my mig and drilling 2 holes and tacing up 2 holes? ok, I figured you were talking about the bolt angle being different, not hole location. Man you make it sound like its a lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer

...If you don't believe me.... and you seem to want to argue with just about every post I make..... look at this article:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...0803phr_beast/

I'm not sure that I'm even going to try and answer your questions. When anyone tries to help you, you tell them they are wrong and start arguing with them. If you think you already know the answers to the questions, why do you ask them in the first place. I'm not going to waste my time playing games like that....
                  Sorry dude, I dont mean to come out like Im trying to prove you wrong. It just your not the one person I speek to, and different people tell me different things. Im just trying to use my judgement and weed through all the BS I hear. And you know if your getting so sick of my posts then ban me, your a moderator. I could sit here all day and tell you about how sick I am of 30 somthing year old men telling me one thing and then hearing some thing completly different from some other 30 somethign year old that Ive never met. I mean if I told you somthing you were asking about and others had told you the oppisite wouldnt you be questioning his opinion?

Comment

Working...
                  X