Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

have any of you guys used Valvoline MAX Life?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have any of you guys used Valvoline MAX Life?

I'm just curious if it actually does anything.

That small oil leak that ruined the concrete in my driveway apparently is coming from just in front of the oil pan.

I know that there was a very slow leak around the pan before and the guys at the garage suggested using the Max Life to help with the seals.

I'm thinking about using the MaxLife and putting some of the Greased lightning stop leak in to see if it does anything.

any thoughts or suggestions?

I would first check to see if the oil pan bolts were torqued to standard.

I don't think to much about a chemical solution to a oil leak problem.

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

Comment

I've been thinking of using it on my '94 Grand Prix that has 112K on the clock. I put an inquiry in here and another web board (Camaroz28.com). The guys over there really like it and many stated it stopped their leaks.

I have an intake oil leak which only happen on long trips (it''ll leak 2 quarts driving from chicago to W.VA or N.C.). I'll use it on the next oil change and we'll see what happens.

Comment

yeah, i'm worried about that too Bob. When i had the car in the garage for the Opti they informed me that they did a "free oil change" for no charge. I didn't authorize the work and it was a garage that i'm not used to going to (plus, they used a different oil)

I'm going back to Valvoline tonight and have them do it over. Hopefully that will help.

Comment

There are a few "high mileage" formulas popping up. Mobil 1 synthetic has a higher mileage formula as well. They contain a seal conditioner to help seal leaks. The stuff does work. I was starting to get a small rear seal leak. Sealed it right up. Ditto for a few small oil leaks on my 89 Deville with 189K miles. You can also simply add a seal conditioner/stop leak to regular oil and get the same results. It will seal a minor leak, but don't expect it to seal a split gasket.

Comment

I'm sorry but I have issues with putting something in my engine that stops it from leaking. If something is in the oil to stop up a hole, I'm afraid it will eventually stop up an oil passage and ruin something in the engine.

I made the mistake of putting bars leak in a radiator one time to fix an intake manifold leak. About a year later, the car started running hot. I took the radiator to a shop and about the bottom 1/3 of the radiator was completely blocked with bars leak. They dipped it to clean it and when they put water in it, it looked like a colander. That stuff ate through the aluminum water pump and heater core. The heater core had what looked like stalactites growing from it made out of bars leak.

So I don't believe in additives. Oil is supposed to flow. I don't want to do anything to stop or slow that down. After seeing an engine with 175,000 miles on it that used Mobil 1 and still being able to see the hone rings, I am not using anything else. I had an old slant 6 that had used Quaker State and at 100,000 you could have put .010 oversized pistons in it. That motor also had about 1/2 inch of sludge in it too.

I have tried to adopt the motto of fix the leak right rather than trying to band aid it.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

A seal conditioner is not made to plug a hole as you describe. Bars leak for radiators is meant to do that and will eventually plug the core. A seal conditioner will merely soften a hardened seal, letting the seal do it's job. Yes it is a band aid, but if Mobil 1 is using it in their synthetic high mileage formula, it's good enough for me. I just tore down my upper end to replace the head gasket and the walls still have the crosshatching and this was at 123K miles. The motor should be good for at least that many more miles. I can agree that most additives are snake oil, I 've just seen seal conditioners work magic on high mileage motors. That, and I'm not in the mood to pull the trans unless I have no choice.

Comment

I understand that. I wouldn't do that either. My wife's mini van slobbers about a quart a month. It's not worth replacing the rear main seal to fix it. I hate it but hey. Oh and I don't use Mobil 1 in it. It ain't worth it.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                X