door jamb stickers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door jamb stickers?

I'm replacing my drivers door. Where do I get the proper stickers to put back in the door jamb after I repaint it?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

If you are referring to the Original GM sticker then unfortunately they cannot be replaced. GM only keeps records for two years, everything manufactured before is not available. If I were you I'd do some research on how to remove the stickers correctly so that they can be reapplied. But be carefull they can't just be peeled off with a razor blade. Hope this helps some.

Comment

Sometimes you can get stickers off, by using a hair dryer to heat up the sticker, and soften the adhesive on the back. Its not always a perfect method, but it may be possible that you can get yours off in half way decent condition, and reuse them on the other door. After you heat them up, you can use a straight razor to start the peel on one of the corners, and then continue holding the hair dryer on the sticker as you slowly peel it away with your fingers.

Coming soon: A Firebird graphic opposite the Camaro graphic-

Comment

If I remember correctly heat is something you do not want to use, it will destroy the sticker. Adhesize remover needs to be used because if the sticker is just peeled off diagonal lines will show through to the face of the sticker. The factory glue has to stay on the door, only the sticker itself can be removed, in order for it too look as if the sticker was not tampered with, and then reinstalled with White double sided tape. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric 97LT4SS
          If I remember correctly heat is something you do not want to use, it will destroy the sticker. Adhesize remover needs to be used because if the sticker is just peeled off diagonal lines will show through to the face of the sticker. The factory glue has to stay on the door, only the sticker itself can be removed, in order for it too look as if the sticker was not tampered with, and then reinstalled with White double sided tape. Hope this makes sense.
          Yeah, you are probably right on that one, but you can remove some stickers that way, if they are not the tamper resistant ones. I had forgotten that the door stickers were tamper resistant. You don't think that adhesive remover would ruin the sticker? He may just need to take a very good 35 mm photo of the door stickers and just put that with the car records.

Comment

The job is done. The original door jamb stickers are tamper resistant. The sticker consists of a clear plastic label that is printed from the back. It is held on with white adhesive, that gives it a white color when viewed through the clear sticker. If you try to disolve the adhesive, the sticker is ruined.

I took some quality digital photos of the original stickers. I then used photoshop to create replicas in the same font and spacing. I cut and pasted some things so it appears to be perfect. I printed the new labels on my color printer.

To adhere them to the car, I took a sheet of 3M Scotchguard paint protection film and peeled the backing off to expose the adhesive. I laid the stickers on it face-down and replaced the backing. The next step was to cut 1/4" around the label to create a sticker.
            Once the sticker was applied to the door the 3M adhesive becomes nearly invisible and it looks perfect. I am very pleased with the results, here is a picture. I saw a Porsche at the body shop with that 3M stuff covering the entire nose and most of the hood. It looked amazing. The shop even removed the emblem to install the product, and replaced the emblem over the film after the application was completed.

Tracy
            2002 C5 M6 Convertible
            1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
            Current Mods:
            SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Nice job man! What you did was a really creative and effective method of resolving the sticker issue. I noticed the placement of both stickers and was wondering if this was the stock location of the original stickers. My door has both stickers on the upper part of the door, one right below one another. Im wondering if the difference in year makes a difference ?
              1996 Arctic White Z28, A4, K&N CAI, TByrne MAF ends, BBK Twin-52mm TB, TB Bypass, SLP 1 3/4" Shorties, Richmond 3.42's, Dynomax Bullet Muffler W/Turn Down, BMR Adj. Panhard, EIBACH Pro-Kit, AFS ZR1 Wheels W/17x11" out back!

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanZ28
                Nice job man! What you did was a really creative and effective method of resolving the sticker issue. I noticed the placement of both stickers and was wondering if this was the stock location of the original stickers. My door has both stickers on the upper part of the door, one right below one another. Im wondering if the difference in year makes a difference ?
                The door I used is from a wrecked 2001 SS Camaro. Somewhere between 1994 and 2001 they changed the rear edge of the door a little by adding a couple rivets into it, and as a result changed the sticker locations. I put the stickers where they were on the 2001 door to avoid placing them over rivets.

Good catch!
                Tracy
                2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                Current Mods:

Comment

Great job and very creative-I would hire ya You seem to follow the same way of thinking that I do, which is "There is more than one way to skin a cat"

Comment

Working...
                  X