Check engine code p1404

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check engine code p1404

My engine light is on in my 98 TA. I just wonderd if anyone could tell me a place I could find out what the code p1404 means. Ill be damned if Im gonna pay some dude from Pontiac to tell me!!

i got this off a diff site so i not sure if it is correct but maybe it will help u.

P1404 EGR Valve, Pintle Stuck Open

97 Firebird, 3.8 5 spd

Comment

Try this:

http://www.autotap.com/codes.asp

or this:

http://www.autotap.com/generic_trouble_codes.html

The number "1" is a dealer code, you can ignore it. Simply go with the 404.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think the EGR thing must be it. The engine actually had 2 error codes, and the other was something about it not being able to read the information from the EGR valve correctly. The guy at AutoZone said that doesnt meant the valve is bad, but just that it cant read the info right. I dunno. I guess I can try to replace the valve and see if that fixes it?

Comment

Somtimes it is simply carbon fouling. Before you buy a new valve, remove it and clean it first. It might suprise ya.

Comment

I actually already tried that. It kept the light off for about a week. Imagine my dismay when it came back on. I dunno, maybe Ill really clean the hell out of it this time!!!

Comment

The dealer said that the tube to my EGR valve had to be cleaned too. They said it was almost plugged with carbon. I wish I was there to see it. They said they flushed it and I have not had the SES light come on since. I guess that was about a year ago.

There, the edit says me now.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Yup.... what Jeff said. That can have more carbon build up than the valve itself.

Sorry about the edited post, Jeff. I hit the wrong button.

Comment

If the tube of valve is all clogged up with carbon does this hurt performance of just gas mileage?
                  1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Working...
                  X