Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big of a tire is needed for these rims?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big of a tire is needed for these rims?

18 X 9.5 and an 18 X 10.5. Also can what kind of tires would you recommend? Right now I'm running some 245/45/17 BFG KDW's but I don't even want to know how much they cost for the next size up. The reason I asked for two rim size is cause I'm not sure what size to go with. I can go with the 18 X 10.5's but because I have a vert that means I have to do some body work to make them fit.
    1995 Camaro Z28 Convertible.

so why do u want 18? my rule of thumb is if its over 40" rubber u can go over 17" chrome

otherwise just run 15s or 16s and be done with it

Comment

Originally posted by Mike71
      so why do u want 18? my rule of thumb is if its over 40" rubber u can go over 17" chrome

otherwise just run 15s or 16s and be done with it
      Cause I don't want the dragster look.

Comment

Injureer wrote about this before you might want to search that thread. But a 17 will be expensive enough rubber put an 18 on and its going to be extreme. Plus a 245\45\17 is no where near a dragster look. 18's make the brakes on an LT1 look incredibly small and do not look right IMHO. Also you'll have a much higher risk of damaging your rims. Also f-bodies have solid rear axles and cannot use the handling advantages of 18's like a vette can with the independent rear suspension. 17's will be much cheaper no body work needed and you can put a really nice looking tire on a good rim. I personally love the look of a fbody with a nice shiny set of 17's and a smaller sidewalled tire...but not to small, but to each his own.
        1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

I didn't think any modifactions where needed for the F-Body for 18 inch rims? Their are some guys on CZ28.com running 20's on their Camaros with no mods to the body.

Comment

For the 18x9.5 you can use a 275/35-18 or a 285/35-18. The 275 is the best "fit" as far as maintaining stock tire diameter, and avoiding rubbing in the front. For the 18x10.5 you could use the 275/35, 285/35, a 305/30-18 (only available in "competition" tire lines) and a 315/30-18. That last one will cost you anywhere from $250 to $415 each.

In general, you don't need body work as long as you get the correct "offset" wheel, and the tire diameter stays close to stock (25.65").

I like my 17's for the street, and I like the look of the car with the 15" drag setup.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
              Cause I don't want the dragster look.
              see i go 4 wheelin..so i belong to a wheelin board..and yah i thought i was there when i made that comment so im sorry

sigh its been a long day lol

Comment

just dont forget to run the correct inflation pressure . that tire will take way more air than you need..... that will reduce your contact patch to a ping pong ball and they will hurt your traction...and it will tear the tread surface up.

give me the weight of your truck and ill give you a taylored inflation pressure to match.

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
                Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
                sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

Working...
                X